Date: 11.12.2017 / Article Rating: 5 / Votes: 607
Nbi.essayroad.cloudns.cx #The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay

Recent Posts

Home >> Uncategorized >> The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay

The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay

Nov/Sun/2017 | Uncategorized

The Gift of Cochise by Louis L Amour - Part 2

The Seventh Man - FULL Audio Book by Max Brand - Cowboy & Western Fiction - The Seventh Man by Max Brand, tells part of the†...

"If I Were In": The Walking Drum By Louis L amour - Essay - 1285

Buy Essays Online from Successful Essay -
The Walking Drum Audiobook | Louis L Amour | Audible com au

Nov 05, 2017 The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay, custom academic paper writing services -
"If I Were In": The Walking Drum By Louis L amour - Essay - 1285

The Five Stages of by Lous Being Biracial (If Youíre Me) on October 21, 2013 in Writing. Share this article, or skip to the article. It wasnít that the idea of being biracial frustrated me, it was just that I didnít think I was it. House? Yes, I finally learned to write ďJaya Saxena,Ē but to a blank-slate of a five-year-old that combination of Drum L'Amour letters was just as random as any of my friendsí names. Pygmalion Act 3? ďJudithĒ looked weird too, right? ďDenisaĒ? ďFionaĒ? I figured it was all arbitrary. L'Amour Essay? My family did not act like other immigrant or biracial families. Those kids had parents who spoke of siblings and childhoods in definition, foreign countries with thick accents. They always seemed to be returning to those countries, or filling their households with decorations and music to make it feel like they had never left. They had kids who actually knew something about a ďhome country.Ē My house never felt like Taliaís house, where sheíd switch between speaking to her dad in Hebrew, her mom in English, and then playing Aladdin on The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour, Sega Genesis with me.

My dad, who moved to Newark when he was 8, had long ago adopted a Jersey accent and demeanor, his actions indistinguishable from moines, those of his Italian and Jewish neighbors. He cooked pork chops and pasta with meat sauce, and played country fiddle. He lit incense sometimes but so did lots of hippie parents. He hadnít been back to India since before I was born. My mom, with her freckles and red hair, was often mistaken for my Irish nanny. We can trace our first ancestorís arrival to 1635, and by about 1740 everyone on her side had officially come over. She grew up on a farm and wasnít afraid of killing the roaches that sometimes skittered around our apartment, and the only time she was called ďexoticĒ was when she went to Scotland.

Together, they were just my parents. So I wasnít biracial. I was a New Yorker, as if being both werenít an option. I ate bagels and played handball and wore pants. My dad taught me how to play guitar and played me songs by Danny Kaye or The Muppets.

Yes, sometimes my ďdress upĒ outfits contained brightly colored silk and bangles, but those were just decorations. Yes, my grandma would make potatoes that came out yellow and were flecked with seeds, but sheíd save a plate of The Walking by Lous Essay spaghetti and slices of patheos definition American cheese for me. They were Indian, not me, and that was normal. The Walking Drum? When I was eight I sat crying on the stairs of my dadís parents house. It was steamy and smelled like cumin, and Indian pop music that sounded like they got the same high-pitched woman to sing every song scratched out of the radio. The week before, I visited my momís parents at their farm, which was always like something out of a fable. I rode horses, groomed them, fed them hay. I made red currant jelly with my grandma and mountain roasted marshmallows in their fireplace while my grandpa blasted Benny Goodman and Drum by Lous Essay quizzed my mom on the guest house, the band members.

Once, I took a jar into their back field and tried to fill it with honeysuckle nectar. The Walking Drum L'Amour? I mean, you canít get any more cloyingly picturesque than that. The Guest? I have never read Anne of Green Gables and yet I assume there are at least two chapters devoted to by Lous Essay, that activity. House? Anyway, that week, I had been admiring the objects they displayed on The Walking, their mantle, including an old print block of the letter J. ďJ, like Jaya,Ē I said. Immunity? ďYes, J for Jaya, and J for The Walking Drum L'Amour Essay Johnson,Ē said my grandma. The Lightbulb? My dadís parents were nothing like that.

Despite being here for over 30 years at that point, I had a hard time understanding their accents. At night we would watch the news and Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay my grandma would massage mustard oil into my grandpaís scalp, as they spoke to pygmalion act 3, each other in a language I couldnít decipher. They were short with waiters. On holidays my grandma would make a flour paste and paint ornate decorations on the patio in front of the house, but I never learned what they meant. On that visit we most likely went to The Walking L'Amour Essay, Pizza Hut, because we always ate pizza when I was there, though I was starting to get the state impression that it was only for me. And yet here was this name #8212; Jaya Saxena. Drum L'Amour Essay? By that point I knew it was different, from tinker moines, all the questions about it meaning Mother Earth (ďlike the lady in Captain Planet?Ē), or the Essay times I would say it aloud and it would come back spelled ďGia.Ē Any diversity celebrations at school would end in the guest, me bringing samosas, even though I never ate them, or wearing a sari, which I had to get my mom to attempt to wrap. None of the by Lous other kids had to deal with that.

Carlos brought in empanadas and knew what they were. Patheos Definition? Everyone knew how to The Walking Drum L'Amour Essay, spell Mollyís name. No one expected Kelly to who wrote mountain, know how to speak Gaelic. Essay? So I cried as I put on my shoes, ready to walk to catch the bus back into the city. ďWhatís the matter?Ē my dad asked. I sobbed, ďIím not a Johnson.Ē

In 1995 I was obsessed with Gwen Stefani. All 4th graders were. But I had a special connection that no one else could claim #8212; I could wear that bindi Gwen was wearing. I mean, if I couldnít actually feel like the The Lightbulb Essay Indian I was told I was, I could at The Walking Drum by Lous Essay, least fake it, right? This coincided with more and v des more people expecting me to know more and The Walking Drum more about ďmy culture.Ē So I gave them the schpiel about the bindi, or some line about Ganesh and offerings. I smiled politely when my friends or family grabbed my hair, taking my ponytail between their thumb and forefinger and laughing at the circumference in pygmalion act 3, comparison to their own. ďItís just the Indian side!Ē Iíd laugh. I brought my friends to my Indian grandparentsí house and had my grandma make them poori bread with hot milk and sugar, to this day the only Indian dessert I can stand. I knew I was not Indian, but I knew I was supposed to be. Something about The Walking Drum L'Amour this felt wrong. Who Wrote? I donít necessarily look Indian.

Iím often mistaken for something vaguely ďethnicĒ (a recent example: ďI know youíre Jewish, but Iím getting a real Dominican vibe from youĒ), but no one has ever guessed that I was part Indian on The Walking by Lous, the first try. If I walk down the street sporting a bindi and bangles, I do not look like the poster child of the modern Indian-American. I look like someone appropriating Indian culture. Definition? Interpret this as you will. Maybe I should have been more aware of The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour my privilege. Maybe we shouldnít be so quick to judge others if they donít fit a profile we have in our heads.

It didnít make my identity any less of a mystery to me. My first moment of real understanding that Indian culture was not my culture should have been my first trip to tinker v des moines, India. I was 13, and it was my first trip out of the by Lous Essay country, a monthlong tour of the the guest house poem subcontinent with just my grandparents. There was embarrassment, sure. A relative picked us up when we landed, and The Walking L'Amour Essay I went for a handshake instead of the traditional touch-your-elderís-feet-then- touch-your-head move. I could barely eat anything, my palate never prepped for real Indian food.

A country I was lead to believe was filled with color and life was also filled with poverty like I had never seen. I got scabies in my hotel room. Honestly, it was probably like most Americanís first trips to non-western countries, experiencing firsthand what itís like to the guest house, be an ďother.Ē But I was not allowed to The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour, feel that way. I was supposed to be experiencing my roots. I returned with henna on my hands, a newfound taste for really sweet and tinker milky coffee, and The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay a secret feeling that these were not my people.

I continued showing off my Indian jewelry and making grand, historic claims about who wrote Hinduism as if the culture were my own. I think it even got worse after the trip, given that now I had been to the ďhomelandĒ and convinced my friends I could speak with even more authority. Drum By Lous L'Amour Essay? But that summer I went to a new camp, and met a girl whose father was vaguely Buddhist and who named his baby son Jai, the male version of my name. She was so excited to find me, and insisted that after camp she would bring her dad into New York and weíd all go get Indian food. I assumed this wouldnít happen, but a few months later I found myself in one of the mountain basement Indian restaurants on 6th Street, trying to make recommendations off the menu. The restaurant was one I chose, at random, but asserted was the best. I knew samosas, and naan, but the curries all seemed the by Lous same to who wrote brokeback, me. My friend, airy blonde curls popping out of her ponytail, said I would definitely know what was best. I looked up at her dad, who leaned down to Essay, me and whispered ďtry the the guest house poem korma, I think youíd like it.Ē The jig was up.

Over the next year, I attempted to clean my act up, mainly by ignoring the very idea of heritage. The Walking L'Amour? I was a teenager after all, and was far more interested in listening to my Walkman in the hallways and the guest house poem hoping my classmates didnít notice I existed. When I did remember it, it was usually as a way to The Walking by Lous L'Amour Essay, excuse my unpopularity (even though the popular kids were black, white, Asian, gay, emo, and everything in between). This is it, this is the definition actual struggle, I thought. And then it was September 11, 2001. By Lous L'Amour? Compared to most New Yorkers my experience was pretty tame. I was let out of English class early, and saw the smoke rising over 3rd Avenue when my mom came to poem, pick me up.

I went to my uncleís house, where my dad met up with me and we walked home together. In the Essay following days I noticed my dad sporting a Yankees cap I had never seen him wear before, and a small American flag pin. A sticker of an pygmalion act 3 American flag showed up on our apartment door. He never acknowledged it, but I guessed it came out of a mixed place of pride in our country and The Walking Drum L'Amour fear that he had to patheos, show that pride or else. My skin was not dark enough to be questioned. No one assumed I shouldnít be here, even though he had been an American longer than I had. Drum Essay? Ok, so it was unfair of me to randomly incorporate Indian things into my life without learning anything about the tinker v des moines culture or my family, and unfair of me to assume I knew what it was like to experience the actual hardships of being a minority. But it was also unfair that everyone jumped to the Indian side when they asked about my heritage.

There was a whole other side of the family, too; a side that celebrated Christmas around a fireplace and had Easter egg hunts at their farm, the warmest, happiest place Iíve ever known. The Walking Drum L'Amour Essay? I was determined to pygmalion act 3, show that this side could be as interesting as India, and was as much a part of my identity. I was determined to make my name Jaya Harrover Saxena, not just Jaya Saxena. In some ways, I was successful in my research. One ancestor was a regicide to King Charles I. Others founded towns like Farmington, CT and Warner, OH. The original Harrover was an indentured servant sent over Drum by Lous from the patheos definition Shetland Islands. I found minor evidence for L'Amour witches in my bloodline and nearly started screaming with joy.

I believe I am eligible for both the who wrote Daughters of the American Revolution and the Daughters of the Confederacy, though Iím not sure the latter would want me, given that ultimately I am a half-Indian northerner who is marrying a Jew. The Walking Drum By Lous Essay? It was all quite fascinating to me, and I clung to it, waving it around whenever anyone had the audacity to call me ďexotic,Ē or ask me how it felt to be a child of two cultures. There was nothing wrong with being biracial, I told myself, but the word still doesnít describe me. I am not a child of two culturesI am a child of one with a name from another. Tinker? I felt as distant from India as if you had me pick a country from out of a hat and The Walking Drum Essay told me to embody the culture. I felt as connected to it as I did to Sweden or Tunisia.

Couldnít they see how much I actually looked like my great-grandmother Maude? When no one accepted the identity I was trying to The Lightbulb, put forth, what I argued was my ďrealĒ identity, the anger started to bubble up. I snapped at The Walking by Lous, my fianceís grandpa (an old Jew from the Bronx) when he tried to tell me what a ďnoshĒ was. ďI know, Iím from New York!Ē I almost screamed, wanting to tinker moines, explain how my dad regularly uses ďschlepĒ and ďoyĒ and The Walking Drum by Lous ďschmuckĒ in moines, everyday conversation. By Lous Essay? I jumped up and pygmalion act 3 down when I saw the Aziz Ansari bit about being asked about Drum by Lous Essay Slumdog Millionaire , because for a good six months thatís all anyone asked me when they found out I was half-Indian. I rolled my shoulders up in unease whenever my mom suggested wearing Indian clothing to a family event. ďBut this isnít what Iíd normally wear,Ē Iíd insist. ďIt feels like playing dress up.Ē Iíd be reminded that it wasnít dress up, because my name was Jaya Saxena. This piece should end with complete acceptance, but it doesnít. In between the anger and the confusion, I learned how to make shrimp curry from my mom. Yes, the white one. One Thanksgiving I shelled 20 pounds of shrimp to make the state dish for The Walking Drum L'Amour Essay the whole family, and to immunity act 1978, this day all our dish towels are stained with turmeric. A few years later, I returned to India.

It was a similar trip to the first oneI met up with my grandparents, spent a month traveling around to The Walking Drum L'Amour Essay, six cities, I was never mistaken for Indianbut this time something clicked. State Act 1978? The country began to make sense. My familyís habits began to make sense. I couldnít stop eating. I started remembering all these ďIndianĒ things about by Lous L'Amour my life that I love. I love my dad and my grandma, wrapping saris for my friends, making halwa for breakfast on the weekends. I love reading Hindu texts, and brainstorming about the definition re-telling of the Durga myth that Iím going to write any day now. I love that I sometimes call slippers ďchappalsĒ because thatís what my dad always called them. Drum By Lous L'Amour Essay? I love wearing a salwar kameez around the the guest house house because there is The Walking Drum L'Amour nothing more comfy than pajamas made of v des silk.

But every once in a while, I recognize that I am able to focus my love and ignore the parts of Drum by Lous my culture that others canít ignore. I wrote that these were stages but if I look hard enough, or sometimes not hard at all, theyíre all still there. I still get mad at people who make assumptions about my dominant identity, and Iím conflicted over Essay marking ďotherĒ on questionnaires about my race. Iíll flat-out forget what people are talking about when they say theyíre surprised my dad doesnít have an accent. I worry that itíll look too much like a costume when I wear henna on The Walking Drum, my hands on my wedding day. Last weekend, I was talking about my ideas for this essay with a Polish woman who moved to America as a young child. I mentioned how, even though I can now make a mean Mattar Paneer, I wasnít raised Indian. Pygmalion Act 3? ďBut your parents gave you an Indian name,Ē she said, confused. By Lous L'Amour Essay? If I were in a bad mood, I would have argued that my name has nothing to do with my life experiences (and grumbled later to my fiance about how annoying it is to be told Iím something Iím not). If I were in patheos, a great mood, I would have smiled and warmly thought about all the Drum by Lous L'Amour people in who wrote brokeback, my lineage, witches and non-witches, Indian and everything else, that had to meet for a Jaya Harrover Saxena to The Walking Drum Essay, even exist.

I think Iím in a pretty good mood these days. Images by Matt Lubchansky, who makes comics and The Lightbulb Essay occasionally leaves his apartment in New York. His work includes Please Listen to Me and by Lous L'Amour Essay New Amsterdam Mystery Company. Heís on Twitter, and house poem doesnít expect you to get his name right.

Online Essay Writing Service -

Nov 05, 2017 The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay, buy essay online cheap -
The Walking Drum by Lous L Amour Essay -- character analysis

Short Narrative Text Essays and Research Papers. Theme and Narrative Elements in the Short Story Christopher J. Pereyra English 125: Introduction to Literature Kathy Knecht . 9/24/2012 Theme and Narrative Elements in the Short Story The short story of L'Amour Essay Little Red Riding Hood is a simple to state act 1978, understand childís tale and clearly portrays the Drum L'Amour Essay deceitfulness of appearance. The story is moines clearly organized with characters and Drum by Lous L'Amour, symbols of innocence by a child and the sly dangers represented by a wolf. Throughout the story we see the state characters build. Fairy tale , Fiction , Little Red Riding Hood 768 Words | 3 Pages. Narrative Technique in Short Fiction. In short fiction, as in creative writing generally, the point of view or narrative technique has been seen as particularly . Drum By Lous L'Amour? important in how readers might engage with a story. Why might an author use a particular narrative technique? Select three stories from the Reader that demonstrate a particular narrative technique, or that demonstrate several different narrative techniques, and definition, discuss and compare the The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay effect of this in these stories.

Narrative technique and house, point of view play an important. Fiction , First person , First-person narrative 1927 Words | 5 Pages. Text Analysis of the Short Story Piano by William Saroyan. Text analysis of the short story Piano by William Saroyan Piano by William Saroyan Text . Analysis Saroyan, William (1908Ė1981) was a successful playwright. The Walking Drum L'Amour Essay? The eccentric, spirited author was born in The Lightbulb, Fresno, California, where his Armenian parents were fruit farmers and where he worked at odd jobs before gaining fame as a short ?story writer. He came to playgoers' attention with My Heart's in by Lous L'Amour Essay, the Highlands but became famous with his much lauded The Time of Your. Fiction , Piano , Pulitzer Prize for Drama 1784 Words | 5 Pages. II Narrative texts : tell a story, succession of events in pygmalion act 3, a certain time sequence (distinguishes narrative from . lyrical text Text types: classified through ē Narrativity ( narrative /non narrative ) ē Medium (oral (radio news brodcast/written) ē Form (prose/ verse (epic)) ē Factivity (factual/ fictional) Narrative text types: novel, epic, short story, tales, songs. Non narrative text types: argumentative essay, scientific paper. Discourse types: narrative , argumentative.

Character , Drama , Fiction 1645 Words | 8 Pages. Theme and by Lous Essay, Narrative Elements in the guest, the Short Story. Theme and Narrative Elements in the Short Story The short story I have chosen to write about is ďThe Secret . Life of Walter Mitty,Ē by James Thurber. I will use this story to by Lous L'Amour, write an understanding of literary themes. I will use this to describe the theme of the short story, then I will identify two literary elements in the short story that contributes to the point of view, tone, setting, character, and symbolism by giving an example of each. Brokeback? Finally, I will then explain how the selected literary.

Fiction , Marriage , Narrative 874 Words | 3 Pages. Narrative Intervention for Lord of the Flie. 9 Instrument 110th July, 2006, Brown.St Brendanís College Extension English Unit: Whatís the Story? Year 9, Term 3, 2012 Name: . Drum Essay? Teacher: _____________________ Date : Assessment Instrument Ė Narrative intervention ( Short story) |Assessment Conditions |Key Terms | |? Word limit: 500 - 600 words |Describe. Fiction , Film , Narrative 890 Words | 6 Pages. ? An unforgettable memory which I forgot about!! (a narrative type of immunity story) DING DONG rang the bell. My dad came back from by Lous L'Amour, work tired but . excited; I guess he had something in his mind. My dad told us that he was going for a business trip to Dubai but had only three tickets!! I was extremely disappointed because I knew since I was the elder brother; I had to let Max and mom go with dad. Inevitably my dad told me that I had to stay back. I started arguing with dad but I knew I had no chance because.

2008 singles , Aunt , Family 1342 Words | 2 Pages. Text Type Context Purpose Audience Relationship Experts to learners Give out detailed information about a particular topic . Interested people Information Non- narrative text type designed to Essay, document, organize and store factual information. The Walking Drum? Knowledgeable people to people with no or little information about a topic learners Examples Encyclopedia Dictionary References Leaflets/Brochures Those wishing to patheos definition, be informed Explanation Instruction Exposition . Essay , Fiction , Literature 269 Words | 4 Pages. ? Narrative within horror films Introduction: Introduce my area of study, Psychological horror films Introduce my research focus, . By Lous L'Amour Essay? Narrative structures within the horror genre Part one: Key concepts and theorys of my investigatioin Tzertan todorov, Equilibrium Distruption Resolution/Re-Equilibrium Three act narrative structure vladimir propp Ė Propp was interested in the narrative of act 1978 folk tales, he identified a common use of The Walking by Lous L'Amour ďstock CharactersĒ with them and mountain, also characterís narrative. Horror film , Jack Torrance , Overlook Hotel 973 Words | 4 Pages. Theme and narrative elements of a short story.

? THEME AND NARRATIVE ELEMENTS OF A SHORT STORY Kim Johnson Eng 125: Introduction to Literature Victoria Schmidt . May 26, 2014 THEME AND NARRATIVE OF A SHORT STORY William Sidney Porter (1862-1910) wrote under the pseudonym O. Drum By Lous L'Amour? Henry. ďThe Gift of the the guest poem MagiĒ written in 1906 has become a beloved Christmas tale. It has been adapted into musicals and operas. It is Drum by Lous Essay a story about a man and a woman who are so much in state immunity, love that they are willing to Drum L'Amour Essay, sacrifice their most beloved possessions. Biblical Magi , Christmas , Fiction 772 Words | 5 Pages. snowboarding. It had been just after lunch and he thought he would try some new terrain. Pygmalion Act 3? He laced up his snowshoes, and proceeded to climb to the highest . point of the The Walking Drum mountain.

He arrived at pygmalion act 3 his first destination after about an The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay hour of hiking. After a short while he figured he had looked over his new found haven enough, he was ready. He started down the grade with a small arsenal, consisting of a shovel, about ten granola bars, two bottles of pygmalion act 3 power-ade, his snowshoes, and what was left in his hydration. Granola , Snow , Started a Fire 1293 Words | 3 Pages. Theme and Narrative Elements in a Short Story. Theme and The Walking Essay, Narrative Elements in the Short Story Introduction to tinker moines, Literature Prof. Roxanne July 16, 2012 Theme and . Narrative Elements in the Short Story One of the useful aspects of reading a short story is that it often provides a commentary on human nature or the human condition. The Walking Drum By Lous L'Amour? The writer comments on some aspect of who wrote brokeback life through the theme of the short story. The theme of a story is simply its meaning; it is the main idea explored in the story by the writer.

The theme in Guy de Maupassantís. Class consciousness , Fiction , Guy de Maupassant 838 Words | 3 Pages. Analysis of Drum L'Amour a narrative text: ďShooting an ElephantĒ (George Orwell) Analysis of v des moines a narrative text : Shooting an Elephant (George Orwell) ďShooting an Drum by Lous Essay ElephantĒ is an autobiographically . influenced short story written by George Orwell and published in 1936. V Des? It deals with the Drum inner conflict of an pygmalion act 3 imperial police officer in Burma who feels pressured by the Burmese and forced to kill an outraged elephant in order to prove himself and his status as an imperial police officer. The short story can be divided into two parts. In the first two paragraphs the narrator introduces. British Empire , Burma , Empire 1074 Words | 3 Pages. ENG 101 JIMMY BELTRAN SEC E130 . 3/19/13 Narrative Descriptive-Essay #2 This is a story about the most important decision that I have ever taken in my entire life.

I received Jesus in my heart as my Lord and Essay, Savior. He is my Redeemer. I did not have a very fortunate upbringing even though my mother had some money to provide for my. Family , Father , God 1404 Words | 3 Pages. USING CARTOON MOVIE FOR DEVELOPING NINTH GRADERSí WRITING SKILL OF NARRATIVE TEXT AT SMPN 1 DASUK A THESIS PROPOSAL . Submitted in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements For the definition Degree Of Sarjana Pendidikan in English By ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ. ENGLISH DEPARTMENT FACULTY OF LANGUAGE AND ARTS SURABAYA STATES UNIVERSITY 2010 TABLE OF CONTENTS CHAPTER I I INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study 1.2 Reasons for Choosing the Topic 1.3 Statements of the L'Amour Essay Problem The Objectives of the Study . English language , Film , Language 10120 Words | 33 Pages. 2013 Name: Shaquille bell Homeroom: 4 Information technology (b) Teacher: Ms Todman 1/9/2013 Narrative project Terms in who wrote, . narrative writing Point of view: the perspective of the narrative voice; the pronoun used in narration Theme: the unifying subject or idea of a story Setting: , the place and The Walking Drum by Lous, time in a work of narrative Character: a person or animal in a narrative work of art (such as a novel , play , or film) Conflict: the opposition of persons or forces that gives rise. Doctor Who , Family , Fiction 1153 Words | 3 Pages.

The way in which a story is organized or complied adds to the ideas, themes, and character of the story. A frame narrative is a way in which a . story is pygmalion act 3 told were a main story leads reader into other stories within. Essentially a frame narrative is The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour a story within another story. The Guest Poem? As in the story One Thousand and One Night the frame narrative is used to tell many different stories within the main story. By Lous L'Amour? Although the stories in One Thousand and tinker moines, One Nights are separate from the main story the Drum by Lous stories are. Geoffrey Chaucer , One Thousand and One Nights , Storytelling 1554 Words | 4 Pages. A Non-Narrative Explanation of the Importance of Narrative. Professor Stephens LIT 4433 ďA Non- Narrative Explanation of the the guest Importance of Narrative Ē Everyone is familiar on Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay, some level . with the drab sort of dry-as-a-bone scientific literature students are forced to the guest poem, read and attempt to digest. But perhaps not as many have been exposed to any sort of scientific literature relayed in a narrative style, even though those who have probably retained that information more clearly than those who have only perused long-winded text books.

The fact of the matter is that. Burgess Shale , HeLa , Henrietta Lacks 2027 Words | 6 Pages. Short story: Definition and History. A short story like any other term does not have only one definition, it has many . definitions, but all of The Walking Drum L'Amour Essay them are similar in v des moines, a general idea. According to The World Book Encyclopedia (1994, Vol. 12, L-354), ďthe short story is by Lous a short work of fiction that usually centers around a single incident. Because of Essay its shorter length, the characters and situations are fewer and less complicated than those of a novel.Ē In the Cambridge Advanced Learnerís Dictionary. Character , Edgar Allan Poe , Fiction 1817 Words | 5 Pages. Narrative Writing Lesson plans and other teaching resources Action Chains Students learn to elaborate on an event in a . narrative by expanding their sentences into The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour, action chains.

Expanding single actions into an action chain provides the reader with a more detailed picture of an definition event in a narrative . This lesson is The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour designed for grades 3-5. Active Beginnings This 3-page printable handout focuses on crafting strong leads. It is designed for pygmalion act 3 elementary students and requires Adobe Reader or compatible. Education , Essay , Lesson plan 897 Words | 4 Pages. Narrative Essay The essay Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris tells about an educational experience of the author. Drum By Lous L'Amour Essay? He moves from New . York city to tinker v des moines, France to learn French at the age of forty-one.

Unfortunately, he is in a hostile situation which was being in a high pressure class with an intimidating and cruel teacher. Even though he spends time in The Walking Drum L'Amour, Normandy, he is not able to fully understand what is definition being said by the teacher. He is quite nervous and upset because he has a prior background. David Sedaris , Education , Essay 908 Words | 3 Pages. Old Man at The Walking the Bridge: a Hybrid Text. | | |ďOld Man at definition the BridgeĒ: A Symbolic and The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour, a . Hybrid Text | |[Type the pygmalion act 3 document subtitle] | |Ines Belkahla | |12/8/2012 . Ernest Hemingway , F. Scott Fitzgerald , Fiction 945 Words | 3 Pages. 000 that get injured yearly? There are many ways to The Walking by Lous Essay, prevent these accidents. The first is to just simply not do it!

According to a Nationwide Insurance . study in the guest house poem, 2008, 66% of The Walking by Lous L'Amour Essay drivers between the age of 18 and 24 send or receive text messages while behind the wheel. Text messaging while driving leads the The Lightbulb list as the biggest distraction while driving. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that distracted drivers account for almost 80% of all crashes and The Walking by Lous, 65% of near-crashes in the. Instant messaging , Mobile phone , Philippines 2212 Words | 6 Pages. Theme and Narrative Elements in the Short Story: The Story of an Hour. Running head: Theme and pygmalion act 3, Narrative Elements 1 Theme and Narrative Elements Theme and Narrative Elements in The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay, the . Short Story: The Story of an Hour Tanya Patterson Prof. Emily Benson September 15, 2014 Theme and Narrative Elements in the Short Story: The Story of an Hour The Story of an Hour written by state immunity act 1978 Kate Chopin in 1894 the reader should zone in on the main character Mrs. Mallard's thoughts and not so much on the excitement of the story but the ending.

The insights of different literary elements. Fiction , Literature , Narrative 1023 Words | 3 Pages. Current Location 1. SPR12 ENG1113 34 ENGLISH COMP I (MSVCC) 213.20123.0005434 2. Learning Units 3. WEEK 3 4. The Writing Process and The . Literacy Narrative Menu Management Options * * * * * Expand All * Collapse All * Course Menu: SPR12 ENG1113 34 ENGLISH COMP I (MSVCC) (213.20123.0005434) * Announcements * Course Information * Staff Information * Learning Units * Due Dates * Test Center * Discussion Board . Essay , First-person narrative , Five paragraph essay 1603 Words | 7 Pages. Narrative Technique in The Walking Drum, Gulliver's Travels. NARRATIVE TECHNIQUE IN GULLIVERíS TRAVELS Jonathon Swift's Gulliver's Travels is an early representation of a novel, resonating both . political and social satire. Tinker V Des Moines? Despite the obvious satirical elements in The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay, this text , Gulliver's unreliable narrative voice is a satire within itself. The Guest House Poem? Mocking the The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay travel narratives contemporary of Essay his time, Swift utilizes the narration of Gulliver in order to criticize the naive and gullible English men and women who read travel narratives as factual documents despite. Drapier's Letters , Gulliver's Travels , Jonathan Swift 1154 Words | 3 Pages.

narrative perspective on a very short story by ernst hemingway. ?A Very Short Story; Analyzed through a Narrative Perspective Often times, in the heat of the moment, we are blinded by what . is real and what is by Lous just an illusion. Patheos? At the same time this could be as a result of oneís maturity vs. The Walking Drum By Lous Essay? immaturity. This story by Ernst Hemingway portrays what seemed to be real love by pygmalion act 3 the American solider and the European nurse however, turned out to be lust because of a lack of The Walking L'Amour maturity, hegemony and quench for power. This short story will be analyzed through a narrative. Affair , Love , Lust 1077 Words | 3 Pages.

Specialization: Course Code | Course Title | Credit Hours | Prerequisites | EL120 | English Phonetics and Linguistics | 4 | EL111 | EL121 | The . Essay? Short Story and The Walking L'Amour, Essay Writing | 4 | EL111, EL117 | AA100A | Arts of Past amp; Present (I) | 8 | EL112, EL121 | AA100B | Arts of Past amp; Present (II) | 8 | AA100A | A150 | Voices and Texts | 8 | EL112, EL117 | A230A | Reading and pygmalion act 3, Studying Literature (I) | 8 | AA100B | A230B | Reading and Drum, Studying Literature (II) | 8 | A230A | U214A. Course , Education , English language 615 Words | 3 Pages. Good Essay About Short Text War Poetry. ?Good essay about Short Text War Poetry Analyse how language techniques were used in EACH text to help you imagine . the situation. Wilfred Owen and Alec Waugh were two World War One poets who used a range of language techniques to patheos definition, create vivid imagery to help the Drum L'Amour reader imagine the situation. Both of these poets served in the war long enough to see the poem horror it became. Therefore their poems feature strong anti-war themes of the pointless destruction, pain and violence of war. The language techniques. Alec Waugh , Dulce et Decorum Est , English-language films 970 Words | 2 Pages. getting behind the wheel. Linda Doyle, a loving mother and The Walking Drum by Lous Essay, an avid helper for the Central Oklahoma Humane Society, became a statistic in tinker v des moines, the year 2009. L'Amour? . Her life abruptly ended in a car accident by a distracted driver.

Linda Doyleís life was cut short , simply because a driver could not put his cell phone down while driving (Hanes 1). Larry Copeland, a writer for USA Today, outlines the National Highway Traffic Safety Administrationís scary statistic that ď6,000 highway deaths each year involve distracted. Automobile , Cellular network , Driver's license 1191 Words | 3 Pages. are also very famous because of their unique design and advanced technology. Discussion Heuer Watch Company was established in 1860 by Edouard Heuer. Patheos? He was . first opened a watch making workshop in St-lmier, a village in Swiss Jura region. In a very short time they are became familiar for Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay a high level of definition accuracy and workmanship and they are perfect for the timing of sporting events and The Walking Drum L'Amour Essay, very soon they found their niche. Tag Heuer has an pygmalion act 3 extensive practice of technological innovation in accuracy of timepieces. Chronograph , Leadership , Management 1628 Words | 5 Pages. IMPLEMENTING PICTURE SERIES TO IMPROVE TENTH GRADE STUDENTSí ABILITY IN WRITING NARRATIVE TEXTS AT MABI PROGRAM OF MAN 3 . MALANG A Thesis by Fifin Naili Rizkiyah (Nim 20622140128) State University of Malang, Faculty of Letters, English Department, July 2010 Nowadays, English is becoming more and more important.

English is The Walking by Lous L'Amour Essay a global language which many people all over who wrote brokeback mountain the world speak English as first or second languages. Many countries include English as the subject taught in The Walking Drum L'Amour, educational. Creative writing , Education , Journalism 859 Words | 3 Pages. that the war in Europe had changed Benny. And, as a matter of fact, the very first time he came into the store after his homecoming she said to pygmalion act 3, him: ďWhatís . wrong, Bennyí? Are you afraid?Ē ďIím all right,Ē he said. Benny was a quiet boy. He was short and skinny with a long narrow face, a pulpy mouth that was somewhat crooked, and soft black eyes. He had big, conspicuous hands, Thich he preferred to keep out of L'Amour sight in The Lightbulb, his pockets. Drum By Lous L'Amour Essay? In fact, he seemed to want to keep out of sight altogether and. Back to The Lightbulb, the Future , Herring , Pass the parcel 700 Words | 3 Pages.

Theme and Narrative Elements Thomas Nichols ENG125: Introduction to Literature (GSH1315G) Instructor: Kyla Hammond April 21, 2013 . Theme and Narrative Elements The short story described here is I used to Live Here Once. The Walking? The theme described in the short story is lifeís spiritual journey. Three of the literary elements present in the story include symbolism and mood. The major theme from this short story is about lifeís spiritual journey. At the house beginning of the The Walking Essay story, the. Fiction , Literature , Narrative 728 Words | 3 Pages. ? NOTE: For the text types mentioned, they run under all of the modules. Iím sure you can decide that putting in a funny anecdote isnít the . smartest thing to do if your creative is pygmalion act 3 sad. By Lous L'Amour Essay? Area of definition Study Ė Belonging (2009-2014): For creative, it has been a narrative but before ĎBelongingí they have asked for letters, memoir and L'Amour, speeches. Mountain? Ideally it is better for you to try and The Walking Drum by Lous Essay, stick to a narrative structure.

My belief is tinker v des moines that the less you have to change of The Walking Drum L'Amour Essay your story (e.g. adding random undeveloped. Anecdote , Essay , Featured articles 979 Words | 3 Pages. Narrative Analysis Paper Introduction In this paper, I perform a narrative analysis on an ďoral narrative of who wrote brokeback mountain . By Lous L'Amour? personal experienceĒ(Labov, 2011). As follows, Section 1 discusses the methodology used to perform the pygmalion act 3 analysis, Section 2 discusses the structure of the narrative and presents the results of the Essay analysis, and Section 3 concludes with a summary of the narrative and analyses. Section 1: Methodology For this analysis, I used a personal experience that is tinker moines termed an elicited narrative.

Clause , Dependent clause , Grammatical conjunction 2005 Words | 6 Pages. Plan for Narrative Text Authors : Harini Ambarwati, Bernadeta Elmiatra and Christinelly Marshelene Lotulung | School and Grade: . SMA XXI (Semester 1) | Duration: 2 x 45 minutes | Subject : English Unit : Narative Text | Language focus : Speaking, Writing, Listening and Drum L'Amour, Reading. Who Wrote? | Competency Standard : Understand the Drum L'Amour meaning and able to tinker v des, create both of written and oral narrative text . | Basic. Education , Explanation , Generic programming 541 Words | 2 Pages. ?Plot summary The narrative deals with the problems of Parvez, who has migrated to England with his son Ali. Parvez worries because Aliís . behavior has changed significantly. Early in the story, Parvez is Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay afraid of patheos definition discussing his worries with his friends because his son has always been a kind of showpiece son. Eventually, Parvez breaks his silence and tells them how his son has changed, hoping to by Lous L'Amour, receive some advice.

After having a short conversation, they come to the conclusion that his son might. Fiction , Narrative , Short story 1896 Words | 5 Pages. Dahl, created a sinister tone in the guest, their short stories you have studied? Tone is of great significance to the storyline as it portrays the . The Walking? readerís attitude while expressing the genre. Essay? Tony Hunterís ĎListen to the Endí and Roald Dahlís ĎThe Landladyí both guide the The Walking Drum Essay audience through their violent and pygmalion act 3, mysterious stories that begin with a powerless main character on a dark, shivering evening. However, through varying and distinctive techniques, the two short stories differ notably in terms of setting. Character , Fiction , Narrative 688 Words | 2 Pages. revising your work with more care, all these points fall under the subject of student responsibility and The Walking L'Amour Essay, how Murray wants the writers to look at their work . more critically. Patty Strong echoes Murrayís beliefs in her article, ďHow Do I Write A Text For College?

Making The Transition From High School Writing,Ē by Essay discussing how she believes students must be responsible for viewing their writing as an opportunity to think. Strong emphasized how students transitioning from high school writing to. Creative writing , Education , Homework help service 1034 Words | 3 Pages. LUMANDA KALOMBO ESL053-001 02/18/2013 Essay #1: Narrative BEING ON THE WAITING LISTS My decision to enter a Community College and to . attend classes for the first time can be difficult or easy depending to my motivation. The Walking L'Amour Essay? I opt to attend this community college of Denver.

My choice is based on four aspects: advantages, location, cost and quality of The Lightbulb education. I think the community college of Denverís location is in a good place for me that will help me to go to by Lous L'Amour Essay, school. I love to The Lightbulb, see all the interesting. Class , Class I railroad , College 914 Words | 3 Pages. Sta. Teresa College Bauan,Batangas College Department A NARRATIVE REPORT IN THE ON-THE-JOB TRAINING CONDUCTED IN MALARAYAT RURAL . By Lous? BANK INC. SAN PASCUAL, BATANGAS In Partial Fulfillment to the Course Requirements in OFFICE PRACTICUM Submitted to: Mrs. Nerea Prado Submitted by: Rhose Ann A. Talain Associate in Office Administratiion II S.Y. 2012-2013 Table of Contents Acknowledgement Allow me to thank the people first behind the success of being part of Malarayat. Bond , Debt , Knowledge 704 Words | 3 Pages.

- shows the relationship/ significant between texts . ē Why do people do the act 1978 things? Ė REPRESENATION e.g. why does the characters do those . actions/ Why has the author/ artist/ producer make or use certain techniques instead of the others. The Walking Drum By Lous L'Amour? * Choice of state language, form, features and structure shape the meaning and influence responses. The choices are affluent by a composerís sense of belonging. ē How is the concept of belonging conveyed through the text , people, relationships, ideas, places, events. Short story 1243 Words | 5 Pages. ?Steps to by Lous L'Amour, Text Analysis Recommended Steps in definition, Text Analysis Introduction: briefly define the text type (the . functional style and the genre), the Drum L'Amour Essay topic, the problems raised, the cultural and historical background of the pygmalion act 3 author and his text . Useful tips: The first step includes defining the type of the by Lous text you are analyzing. Does the text represent fiction/belles lettres style/non-fiction? Is it a whole text or an extract? If it is fiction what genre does the text represent? It should be noted that. Character , Climax , Fiction 1759 Words | 5 Pages. ? Narrative Guidelines Ideas Stories can be created from a simple thought, a word, a headline, even a line . from a song.

Inspiration can come from the news, photographs, paintings, lyrics, people; simply everyday life. V Des Moines? Possible starting points: an The Walking L'Amour experience that was particularly significant; a memorable journey; interesting people; unusual events; technological developments, personal interests; family history; unique relationships; a strange incident; a great. An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge , Charlotte Perkins Gilman , Edgar Allan Poe 348 Words | 4 Pages. English 101 Literacy Narrative Essay September 9th, 2013 My Struggles With Literacy English was always a challenge for me because I grew . up in China and that was my first language iíve ever learned to write and speak. So coming to the U.S. and learning a brand new language wasnít the definition easiest thing for me to do.

After fourteen years of L'Amour Essay being here I still occasionally have a hard time with writing papers, using correct punctuation, and grammar. Even with struggling to write papers I still did. Educational years , Essay , High school 1495 Words | 4 Pages. beyond narrative voice when judging a text .' Unless a story is the guest house poem written from someone's point of view there is no story. Within . Drum Essay? literature, two commonly used viewpoints are First person and Third person limited. First person is where the narrator is the guest house a character in the story; and Third person limited is told from a character's perspective. A writer will choose the point of view that they believe will best convey their message. The Walking Essay? At the heart of that choice is their choice of Essay narrator or narrative voice.

First-person narrative , Jean Brodie , Narrative 1401 Words | 4 Pages. Narrative Styles in Poe, Melville, Hawthorne. narrative styles in Melville's Bartleby, Poe's Arthur Gordon Pym, and Hawthorne's The House of Drum L'Amour Essay Seven Gables. State Immunity? How all three authors utilize a . conversational tone for the function of their work. In works by three of the most classically American authors of the nineteenth century, Melville, Poe, and Hawthorne, a trait that can be considered common to Drum by Lous L'Amour, all three authors is pronounced clearly as a means to their narration. This trait is that of pygmalion act 3 deploying a narrative laden with- and Drum by Lous L'Amour, moreover led. Dark romanticism , First-person narrative , Herman Melville 1184 Words | 3 Pages. Narrative ďNew LiteraryĒ Criticism A good novel is hard to brokeback mountain, put down. The story in the novel is perfect with a great plot, convincing . characters, and a suspenseful build up to the climax. You have been drawn into the story and it is almost like you are there, living along side the characters. You understand their background, their trials, and their joys.

The story brings to life something from long ago that may or may not be fictional. It is hard to tell without doing further research. Biblical criticism , Critic , Criticism 1735 Words | 5 Pages. the financial statements are created. These ratios tell an investor or manager how well positioned an organization is to L'Amour, continue operations. These ratios . determine a company's liquidity.

Liquidity is the measure of a company's ability to pay its short -term debt when it comes due. Solvency is the measure of v des moines how well a company will be able to The Walking Drum L'Amour, meets its long-term debt obligations. These ratios are critical in determining the moines health and Drum by Lous Essay, long-term vitality of Essay a company, since the financial statements. Accounts receivable , Asset , Balance sheet 1926 Words | 7 Pages. ?Radisti Dwikalisti 180410130060 Finding Relation Between Narrator and Story Using Narrative Instance Most of authors or writers are telling . their emotion, opinion, thoughts, and feeling through their masterpiece. They usually make a story and smuggle their opinion or thoughts into the story. Sometimes the reader does not realize about it because they hide them well behind the story they made. The Walking By Lous L'Amour Essay? Some of the writers use a narrator to be a mediator for them to deliver their opinion or thoughts about. Fiction , Grammatical tense , Narrative 1428 Words | 4 Pages. a crate from state immunity, off the top of the bin and started to unload its contents. ďFreshman probs,Ē I mumbled. ďI promise you, weíll make this work,Ē she said with a . smile. ďNo matter how long it takes.Ē And we did. *** The next few hours flew by. In the The Walking Essay short period of time, we somehow managed to pygmalion act 3, transform the dull, empty dorm room into a cute little space, complete with Christmas lights, a fully-stocked refrigerator, and The Walking by Lous L'Amour Essay, even my favorite Cinderella bank.

We stepped back to admire our hard work. ďSee, itís. 2009 singles , Debut singles , English-language films 1916 Words | 4 Pages. Narrative Interview - The Things They Carried, by mountain Tim O'Brien. Rationale The intention of the The Walking L'Amour Essay following text is to pygmalion act 3, elaborate the The Walking Drum Essay use of meta-fiction and narrative layering in brokeback mountain, Tim O?Brien?s . The Things They Carried through writing a narrated interview with Tim O?Brien regarding Part Four?s study: Literature and Critical Study. The Walking Drum? Using quotations/transcriptions of Tim O?Brien?s statements within the fictional interview will support the structure of the patheos definition text accordingly as a narration of an The Walking Drum interview. First, I will address Tim O?Brien?s brief biography regarding. Character , Fiction , Narrative 1284 Words | 4 Pages.

Analysis of Frederick Douglass s Narrative. Crutchfield Frederick Douglassís autobiography, Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave, has received generally . positive reviser and reached the bestseller immediately once published. These achievements were definitely exceptional and The Lightbulb Essay, extraordinary for a slave living nineteenth century America, where slaves were refrain from The Walking L'Amour Essay, gaining literacy in patheos definition, everywhere of the nation. Therefore, the following article is going to analysis the L'Amour narrative from three perspectivesóethical, logical and. Abraham Lincoln , Frederick Douglass , History of slavery 1016 Words | 4 Pages. Text 6: Glory Glory Be to Chocolate- Naught But Nic Contextual detail: Taken from the patheos definition authors book ďFrom the Devils PulpitĒ the . Drum L'Amour Essay? text was publish in 1997 and was written by the author John Agard. John Agard is a man who was born in Guyana. This is significant because Guyana is located on who wrote brokeback, the Caribbean Coast of South America, a country where simple foods are seen as luxurious as they have one of the L'Amour poorest economies of South America.

Text 6 Genre Poem taken from a section of the book ďFrom the Devilís. Audience , Caribbean , Food 1206 Words | 12 Pages. ? Favorite Brand Paper What would be a company that passionate almost every single person in the United States, including me. After a . short time of thinking, it came up to my mind. Who Wrote Mountain? And the answer was really easy, Apple!. By Lous Essay? Apple is the guest one of the strongest companies in the world.

They have created many gadgets that have changed our lives like the iPod, iPhone, the The Walking Drum by Lous Mac and of course the iPad. Tinker V Des? In this paper I will cover the following topics, I will give three reasons why am I passionate about. Apple Inc. , IPhone , IPhone OS 811 Words | 5 Pages. Although the cons do outweigh the pros the pros have been extremely helpful to The Walking Drum by Lous, the molding of our society. Now all affirmative action is Essay doing is saying . reverse racism is okay. When in Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay, reality no racism is acceptable. After reading many articles and texts about affirmative action I believe the outcomes have been great however, the policy has worked and is no longer needed. State Immunity? The policy was made to help minorities get to the same place as whites and I believe it has done so. It isnít a phenomenon to L'Amour Essay, see. Affirmative action , Black people , Discrimination 1530 Words | 3 Pages. Abstract This paper will look at the logic of narrative therapy by focusing on 5 major points.

This paper will begin by discussing how the . narrative approach defines and perceives problems. Pygmalion Act 3? It will address how narrative therapy views the Drum Essay nature of the The Lightbulb relationship between the client and Drum by Lous, the professional. This paper will look at how problems are solved using the narrative approach. It will also focus on three main techniques used in narrative therapy, which will include externalization, deconstruction. Clinical psychology , Family therapy , Narrative 1579 Words | 5 Pages. examine the use of narrative in contemporary photography. Patheos Definition? Narrative photography suggests to us that the image, or images . presented to us may have a story to tell, a message to communicate or a philosophy to convey. That story could be familiar to us in some way, drawing on references to art, cinema, theatre, or literature or may refer to personal values, shared beliefs, moral attitudes or have some significance within our perception of modern society and culture.

The unfamiliar narrative is that which. Art , Computer graphics , Duane Michals 2694 Words | 7 Pages. Theme and Narrative Elements of a Short Story. Theme and Narrative Elements of a Short Story Racheal Cearney ENG 125: Introduction to Literature William Smith . 6/17/2011 The short story I choose to write about is in chapter 7 ĎíLittle Red Riding Hoodíí The story revolves is based on a girl named Little Red Riding Hood, after her mom had made her a little red hooded or cape the village people had start calling her that. In the story little red mom had ask her to The Walking Drum L'Amour, go over her grandma house to patheos, check up on her. Little Red walks.

Big Bad Wolf , Fairy tale , Fiction 624 Words | 2 Pages.

Custom Academic Paper Writing Services -
Amazon com: The Walking Drum: A Novel (9780553280401): Louis L

Nov 05, 2017 The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay, write my research paper for me -
Listen to Walking Drum by Louis L Amour at Audiobooks com

Asian Actors Onstage: Lea Salonga, Phillipa Soo Sound Off on Broadway Representation, Cultural Perceptions. Do people just ask you to sing Aladdin all the time? Phillipa Soo asked Lea Salonga when they met for The Walking by Lous L'Amour Essay, the first time on a November afternoon at Manhattan's Paramount Hotel. Soo, 25, is making her Broadway debut in Lin-Manuel Miranda's Hamilton , while Salonga, 44, is starring opposite George Takei in Allegiance . The Lightbulb! Their conversation began as a laugh-filled fangirl session, swapping stories about their shows' opening-night parties, and short stage breaks. The Walking L'Amour Essay! (Should I get cake from the costume room or run to the bathroom?! debated Soo.) But it quickly evolved into an in-depth discussion about advocating for racial and cultural representation onstage, pushing past typical Asian professional goals, and meeting their own parents' standards of excellence. I understand the practical pieces of pygmalion act 3, advice that parents give their kids, said Salonga, who is taking a breather from her role as a judge on the local edition of The Voice in the Philippines to return to Broadway. Turning to by Lous L'Amour Soo, she added: Someone who looks like me and immunity act 1978 looks like you can have this career. Salonga made history as the first actress of Asian descent to win a Tony Award when she took home lead honors in 1991 for the blockbuster musical Miss Saigon, and she remained the only Asian actress in the Tony club until earlier this year, when Ruthie Ann Miles won for The King and I . The Walking By Lous L'Amour! Theater awards pundits are already predicting that Soo has a good shot at expanding the tinker v des, membership to Drum Essay three when Hamilton is up for consideration at the 2016 Tonys. Lea Salonga and state act 1978 Phillipa Soo meet for the first time at the Paramount Hotel's Think Tank in New York City. The Walking L'Amour! Photo credit: Jai Lennard.

For a long time, roles for pygmalion act 3, Asian actors on Broadway were severely limited, and resumes tended to by Lous L'Amour Essay read the state act 1978, same with revivals of The King and I , Flower Drum Song and maybe a production of The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour, Stephen Sondheim's Pacific Overtures or David Henry Hwang's M. Butterfly . The Guest House Poem! Coming in The Walking Drum Essay the wake of a year-long off-Broadway run at the Public Theater for the Imelda Marcos bio-musical Here Lies Love (which also starred Miles), the ongoing King and I revival and the Broadway premiere of Allegiance mean that more Asian actors have been consistently employed on prominent New York stages than at patheos definition any time in Drum by Lous Essay history. The big question now is whether that momentum will continue, with more non-traditional casting like that of Soo as Eliza, Alexander's wife, in Hamilton . Phillipa, when did you first learn of Lea? SOO: Aladdin was a huge part of my childhood that was the the guest house, first time I heard you. Then, becoming more interested in theater and definitely looking into plays and The Walking by Lous Essay musicals that represented people I thought looked like me, that's when I found all these amazing videos of you auditioning for Miss Saigon . Definition! I don't know if you've watched those. SALONGA: I actually have.

People on The Walking Drum by Lous Facebook tag me and brokeback mountain say, Oh my god, Lea, you were so young! That's 27 years ago! It blows my mind to by Lous Essay think about it now. SOO: Truly, such an important part of me growing up, as someone of mixed race and someone of color, was seeing someone so successful but so beautiful in your work and what you do. What do you each love about state immunity, your character? What's your favorite musical moment of hers? SOO: In Hamilton , the most amazing thing about Drum, my journey [as Alexander Hamilton's wife Eliza] is her discovery of herself and the guest house her power, and the impact on history that she's searching for and doesn't necessarily realize herself, but the audience can see. I always look forward to that last moment [when Eliza sings of The Walking Drum by Lous, her accomplishments after Alexander's death in Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story], which is very much a culmination of the entire three hours of experience, the entire 20 years we've just seen in the play, the entire rehearsal process where we are in that very moment. Soo (second from left) alongside Leslie Odom Jr., Lin-Manuel Miranda and Christopher Jackson at Hamilton's Aug.

6 Broadway premiere. Pygmalion Act 3! Photo credit: AP Images/Invision. As a woman, it's nice to hear people at the stage door say, I didn't even know! She's a woman, and that's the most amazing thing. And I say, But isn't it crazy that you're so surprised? It's a surprising thing that it ends with her story!

But I think that's great. The Walking! We're making our way toward something else. I can't wait to see your show but I'm sure there's something similar. SALONGA: Yeah. In Allegiance , Kei Kimura starts out compliant with her environment. The Lightbulb! Her father says, We have to keep our heads down, and she'll say yes. She pretty much bends in whatever direction she feels she's being pushed in. The Walking By Lous L'Amour Essay! Very compliant, very traditionally Asian; This is my role in this family. Then she gets thrust into a whole other set of circumstances with a whole other set of house, influences pushing her. I look forward to The Walking by Lous Essay a very short reprise [of Higher], when everything is taken away from her and immunity act 1978 she now gets to that decision: You know what? I am effing tired of everything going on here, and it's time to do something.

I look forward to ripping into that every day. Then we see her more proactive and less compliant and by Lous much more of an instigator of things. Both of your characters are empowered to continue the work of men in their lives, these goals might not be achieved without them. Did that factor into accepting the role? SALONGA: When this role was first developed, there was a whole lot of none of that! Then [co-writer] Marc Acito came into the picture and streamlined the script killed off the mother and an older brother, and gave their arcs to me, which made for who wrote brokeback, a really rich experience. Even in the San Diego production where Kei was introduced, she was still not this instigating force that she is now. As for looking for roles, my gut just tells me, Yes, you have to The Walking do this, and you have to stick with this. Sometimes it's the arcs of the character, but usually, because I tend to be led by singing over anything else, if it's something I feel I can really work with, that's the path I'll go. From left: Salonga and state act 1978 George Takei as Kei and Ojii-chan Kimura in Allegiance . Photo credit: Matthew Murphy. SOO: I joined [ Hamilton ] as the ball started rolling faster and faster about The Walking Essay, two years ago.

I relate to that idea of who wrote, not necessarily seeking out interesting female roles, but this character, this role, who happens to be a woman, is by Lous Essay, interesting to me, and I relate to state immunity it in some way, so I'm just gonna go with my gut and see where it leads me. Is it exciting to work on this? Even if I don't necessarily hit the nail on the head the The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay, first time, is the prospect of working on it getting my gears going? Then it turned out to be a wonderful surprise. I hope that's how I can do it for the rest of moines, my career. Both shows also use your Asian makeup in different ways: Allegiance tells an Asian-American story about the WWII internment, and Hamilton uses colorblind casting to showcase the The Walking Drum L'Amour, founding fathers. SALONGA: It's amazing that both of these shows are on Broadway in the same season.

Allegiance is tinker moines, one of those shows where race is like a main character in the show, because the xenophobia happening at by Lous L'Amour Essay the time needs to state be very clearly illustrated. The only people who can replace us are other Asians, which is rare. The only Drum exception is Katie Rose Clark, who is pygmalion act 3, as white as snow, and understudied by two girls who are Hapa half [Asian, half white]. One of them also understudies me, but she can be pushed either way and it would not be politically incorrect to The Walking L'Amour Essay do so because she embodies both. It's refreshing that this is a specifically Asian-American story that shows the uglier, seedier side of pygmalion act 3, American history, and how relevant it is today for The Walking Drum Essay, example, with so many discussions about immigrants in definition this country today, and with what's been happening around the world with the terrorist bombings in Beirut and Paris. Essay! The lens is tinker, now closing on Muslims and Drum by Lous Essay the Muslim-American community, and I feel sick to who wrote my stomach, hearing the politicians talk and seeing which states will not allow [Syrian] refugees in. Yes, we understand, we get it, but remember, this same attitude was trained on another ethnic group back in The Walking by Lous L'Amour Essay the day. It's happening again have you not learned from history? Have you not read your history books?

Oh wait, hang on the Japanese-American internment was not even a paragraph in history books. Where can you learn this history if it's not even written down and it's not even taught? It's just very scary. I totally went off-topic. SOO: There's a hope that one day, enough people will have been exposed to enough art and the guest house poem enough history just to The Walking Drum Essay think twice. [When watching Allegiance ,] I'm not just enjoying this as a story, but this is patheos, really messed up. Someone who looks like me and looks like you can have this career, said Salonga (left) with Soo at the Paramount Hotel's Think Tank in New York City. Photo credit: Jai Lennard. Phillipa, you're of Asian descent and playing a character that isn't written as Asian, or any race at all.

SALONGA: But it's awesome and with all of The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay, these colorful people! SOO: Yeah! So I'm half-Chinese and half white, and it wasn't until being part of this show even though I've been in other mixed race casts that I have been considered an house poem, actor of Drum by Lous L'Amour, color. Up until now, I haven't been talking about being an Asian-American woman! I don't know why, but clearly it has something to do with the statement that we're making in our show, and who wrote brokeback that you're seeing so many different colors that you're thinking, Wait a minute, what is everybody? I was in Natasha Pierre the Great Comet of 1812 , a Russian story based on Tolstoy and with a mixed race cast. But it wasn't a mixed race cast playing Russian people; it was just us telling the The Walking Essay, story. Because of who I was playing opposite, I think people assumed I was white. It depends on the frame that highlights different things. Also, it hasn't been until now that I received this beautiful letter from this young woman who thanked me for representing Chinese-American people in the theater. That's never happened to tinker moines me before!

But it's beautiful because I feel like as amazing as it is to acknowledge, it's also amazing on the other side that people don’t even think twice about it [in Hamilton ]. At the Allegiance opening, speaking about Asians in the performing arts, George Takei told me, Other parents, if they had talented children, they would be encouraged. But Asian parents all want their sons and daughters to be professionals it's an insecure business and that's the The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour, reality SALONGA: Right. My parents told me that. They not only don't encourage them, they discourage their youngsters. We should be confident enough that if they have talented children who have that drive, to give them wise guidance: 'Yes, it's a very competitive field and there aren't that many opportunities, but if you really have that grit and the talent and the ability to bounce back from who wrote mountain, rejection, then we will support you.' That kind of encouragement is needed, and I think it's starting to happen now.

SALONGA: I grew up in the Philippines, and I spent most of by Lous Essay, my life acting and singing and dancing onstage or TV or on film. Moines! My parents were somewhat supportive, but they were always a typical Asian family: Get your education, get your college degree and no one will ever take that away from you. Don't count on Drum show business as a primary occupation because it's very fickle. Which it is, and patheos definition we've seen people be complete successes one minute and total wash-ups the next. It's a very practical piece of advice. There were other things that interested me anyway, and I went into college as a biology major because I truly and sincerely enjoyed it. Then, Miss Saigon happened, and bam, my life changed. All of Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay, us were feeling like we're blazing a trail for patheos, other people of The Walking Drum, our race, and we have no idea what's going to happen once this show opens, and patheos definition it then became an The Walking Drum, incredible employment opportunity for so many Asian-American actors. But even while I was in that show, I thought, 'One year and immunity act 1978 then go back to college, pick up where I left off and life will just continue.'

Salonga (second from left) at the 1991 Tony Awards alongside fellow winners Nigel Hawthorne (' Shadowlands' ), Mercedes Ruehl (' Lost In Yonkers' ) and by Lous Essay Jonathan Pryce (' Miss Saigon' ). State Immunity! Photo credit: Richard Drew/AP. I do understand why a lot of Asian-American parents, especially the The Walking by Lous L'Amour Essay, first-generation and the immigrants that come here, would encourage their kids not to get into the business: because Asians onscreen, onstage, it's a very underrepresented group. Until Allegiance and Hamilton and other shows are written for people like us, it's difficult, and it's extremely competitive as it is, so I understand the practical pieces of The Lightbulb, advice that parents give their kids. But the Essay, cool thing about Allegiance is, you see the Asian romantic lead get the Asian romantic leading lady at the end! It's not a spoiler: there's B-roll of us kissing at patheos definition the end of The Walking Drum by Lous, a romantic number! That's not been seen on Broadway yet, and it's awesome. And there's another Asian lead and he's involved in an interracial romance how often do these stories happen? The times, they are achanging. Someone who looks like me and looks like you can have this career. SOO: I was having a great conversation the patheos, other day with a very mixed group of friends: black friends, white friends, gay friends, straight friends. And we were talking about particularly just giving anybody of minority an L'Amour, opportunity in the theater.

The opportunities don't exist because there's not enough people, and there's not enough people because the opportunities don't exist. It's a catch-22. Tinker Moines! So you create the opportunity, even though the perfect people might not be there, you create it so that more people [emerge]. Drum! There's a catalyst. Pygmalion Act 3! It has to start somewhere. There's a huge responsibility to Drum Essay tell those stories and put those stories out poem, there so we can be a part of it. And then there will be a young woman outside the stage door saying, Oh my gosh, thank you. Drum By Lous! She'll feel like, in five years, there's more of a chance that there will be something for her, and she'll want to pursue this.

SOO: In terms of my own experience, my dad is first-generation, so his parents were from China, and my mom was born and raised in southern Illinois, and she was involved in the arts. My dad's a doctor. House Poem! I was very much always encouraged, but the mentality of The Walking Drum Essay, get your education was still there. But of course, from his experience, he was like, I kind of want you to do what you want to do, but remember, there's a legacy here, and you have a lot to live up to. Don’t forget that. Who Wrote! I think he just wanted me to The Walking Drum by Lous do the best at whatever I wanted to do, so whether it was in patheos the arts or the sciences, to be well-rounded and to have an amazing time doing it, but also to just educate yourself and if you're going to by Lous L'Amour Essay be a performer, be the best performer that you can be. I think that still lives on in me and the guest house will be something I pass onto my own children. The Walking Drum L'Amour Essay! I think there's something beautiful about that. What can Hollywood learn from Broadway right now? SALONGA: Watch the season, first of all! And with On Your Feet! and The Color Purple , it's an incredible season of shows.

It's quite groundbreaking, and it just shows what's possible. It's possible for tinker moines, any ten-year-old of any background to look up at the stage and say, 'Mommy, that's what I want to The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour do,' and then for that mom to say, 'Well then go for it. I'm right behind you.' It's nice to be able to have a hand in that, instead of act 1978, saying, 'There's nobody like you onstage, where are you gonna fit?' But we're fitting quite nicely, eight shows a week. Stop seeing us as exotic and The Walking oriental and far-removed from the experience of what this country actually is. Don't see us as foreigners, see us as part of the country. Immunity! Then, maybe there will be more really great stuff written on film for Essay, people that look like us, because theater people are writing things for pygmalion act 3, us! Kei was written for Drum L'Amour, me I can actually say that! SOO: Hamilton just asks us all to go a little bit deeper: whether you're a hip-hop fan seeing musical theater for the first time, or if you were thinking you were gonna see some reprise of 1776 , and Essay now it's this? And you're thinking, 'Wait a minute, these people aren't white!' It asks you just take a step and go a little deeper.

It's not like there's no opportunity for you to The Walking Drum get on the train; there's a lot of opportunity to get on. Let's do that, let's write some more complicated characters that are of many diverse backgrounds culturally and racially, because that's a whole other thing. Yeah, I'm being represented racially, but culturally, that's so broad! I'm seeing broad people, not my neighbor, not you, not me.

Academic Proofreading -

Nov 05, 2017 The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay, online essay writing service -
Listen to Walking Drum by Louis L Amour at Audiobooks com

20 Best And Worst Fonts To Use On Your Resume. Before you even walk into a job interview youíve made a first impression on the interviewer. How? Through your resume. According to a study conducted by the job search site TheLadders.com, recruiters spend only about six seconds scanning a resume. So itís essential that your resume makes a great first impression ó that it looks professional and well organized. How do you do that?

You start by using a resume font people can actually read (that#8217;s what this post is for), then you design a resume that stands out from the Drum by Lous, rest (here#8217;s how you do that). When you have both these things you go into The Lightbulb, Canva and design the thing for free in no time (here#8217;s how you upload fonts from this article into Canva and here#8217;s where you go in by Lous, Canva to start your new resume design right now). Times New Roman is probably the most commonly chosen fonts for resumes ó the very reason you should avoid it, and state, why it appears on our ďWorstĒ list. The Walking By Lous L'Amour. So if you donít want your resume to look like hundreds of others, youíll want to choose something else. The Guest. And Garamond is a great alternative. A timeless serif typeface like Times New Roman, Garamondís precursors have been in Drum by Lous L'Amour, use for around 500 years.

The modern version has the benefit of giving your resume a classic, polished look thatís much more interesting that the overused Times New Roman. As a bonus, if youíre struggling to condense your resume to one to two pages (which is a good idea), Garamond can help you fit more text on house a page without sacrificing readability by lowering the font size or crowding your design by by Lous L'Amour tightening up the spacing. This simple, sophisticated sans-serif typeface, designed in England in the 1920s, will give your resume a look that is both classic and modern. Itís used widely in the UK (across the British Railways system, by the BBC) and elsewhere. You might also notice that Gill Sans is immunity very similar to Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay the custom lettering featured on the famous, WWII-era ďKeep Calm and Carry OnĒ poster, rediscovered at a British bookstore in 2000 and subsequently popularized with many replicas of the design. Youíll find this font distributed with Mac OS X and some Microsoft software as Gill Sans MT. Cambria, a serif font, is part of a suite of typefaces called the v des, ClearType Font Collection, which has been widely distributed with Microsoft Office programs. These typefaces (Calibri, Cambria, Candara, Consolas, Constantia, and Corbel) were designed specifically to perform well on computer monitors. The studio that created Cambria describes it as ďthe Ďnew Times New RomanĒÖdesigned specifically for on-screen reading, while still remaining applicable for The Walking by Lous Essay print,Ē thanks to its sturdy letter construction that retains legibility even at small sizes. This makes Cambria a good choice for both online and brokeback mountain, printed resumes.

Wikimedia Commons/Hans Hoogglans. Although it has been the by Lous L'Amour Essay, default Microsoft Word font since 2007, Calibri is The Lightbulb still not used as often as Arial, which landed on our ďWorstĒ list for that reason. This font has other things going for it, though; professional resume writer Donna Svei points out that typing in Calibri at a 12 pt. size will produce around 500 to 750 words, the ideal length of a two-page resume. Drum Essay. Our third and last selection from Microsoftís ClearType Font Collection, Constantiaís rounder letterforms make it look more friendly and less stuffy than many serif typefaces. Who Wrote. Itís also suitable for use both on-screen and in printed documents, making it useful for when you need to distribute your resume in both digital and hard copy form. Originally designed for corporate use, Lato is sans-serif font created to look neutral in body copy but have some unique traits at The Walking L'Amour larger sizes. The fontís designer describes Lato as ďserious but friendlyĒ ó perfect for resumes. It comes in state immunity act 1978, a wide range of weights and styles, though the ďhairline,Ē ďthin,Ē and ďlightĒ weights will be too hard to see at small sizes. Itís available for Drum L'Amour download (free for both personal and commercial use) and for web use on Google Fonts. Didot is a distinctive serif font with an upscale look (perhaps a product of pygmalion act 3, its Parisian roots).

This classy typeface can lend some style to your resume and seems to be particularly popular for industries like fashion and photography. However, its delicate serifs display most clearly at larger sizes, so youíll do best saving Didot for headings rather than body copy. Wikimedia Commons/Pierre Rudloff. By Lous L'Amour Essay. This Swiss sans-serif typeface is considered by many designers and typographers to be the state act 1978, king of fonts. It even has its own self-titled documentary film. Thanks to L'Amour Essay its modern, clean lines and exceptional clarity, Helvetica is widely used in everything from major corporate logos (BMW, American Airlines, Microsoft) to The Lightbulb New York Cityís subway signs. To give your resume a clean and contemporary look thatís still professional, try Helvetica. Itís included with Mac operating systems, but if youíre wanting to use it with Windows, youíll have to purchase it.

Georgia is by Lous L'Amour Essay another alternative to Times New Roman. Who Wrote. This serif font has letterforms with thicker strokes that make it easy to read even at small sizes. Plus, because it was created specifically for clarity on computer monitors, it looks great viewed on The Walking Drum by Lous any digital document, such as if youíre sending your resume as a PDF. This versatile sans-serif font has a very clean, crisp appearance that will give any resume an updated look. It has multiple weights that you can use to differentiate the various sections and features of your resume, but you should probably avoid the ďbookĒ and ďlightĒ weights, as well as any condensed versions ó they can be hard to read. Avenir Next is another good option; it was released as a follow-up to Avenir to improve the fontís on-screen display capabilities. Dribbble/Mario Leo Fasolo. Surprised this one is on the list? Thereís nothing wrong with the The Lightbulb Essay, font in itself, itís just that it has been (over)used and abused.

Since everyone else is using it on their resumes, yours wonít stand out. By Lous. Plus, Times New Roman is hard to read at very small sizes and doesnít display particularly well on screens. Like Gill Sans on our ďBestĒ list, Futura was created in the 1920s. Except this sans-serif typeface was designed in Germany and The Lightbulb, is more geometric in form. Although itís a clean, attractive font, the overall appearance is somewhat stylized and atypical. With quirks like unusually tall lowercase letters and by Lous L'Amour, a jarring contrast between sharp and round letter shapes, Futura leans more toward decorative and Essay, interesting (a.k.a, a display font, meant to be used sparingly) than practical for text-heavy documents like resumes. In the overused category, Arial is Times New Romanís sans-serif equivalent.

Using a font thatís so common (and, some would say, boring) may be perceived as a lazy choice ó not putting much thought or effort into The Walking Drum L'Amour Essay, your resume. Plus, Arial is basically an patheos adaptation of Helvetica thatís a little looser and more irregular in its construction. Thereís nothing wrong with conventional fonts, but there are better sans-serif choices out there than Arial. Designed to by Lous Essay replicate the look of who wrote brokeback mountain, a typewriter and by Lous, later adapted for use on actual electric typewriters, this font makes it look like ó you guessed it ó you typed your resume on definition a typewriter. Which you didnít ó unless you havenít updated your resume in 30 some-odd years. Plus, because this is a monospaced typeface (every letter is spaced equally, as opposed to The Walking by Lous L'Amour Essay most other proportionally spaced fonts) it can look a little unnatural, particularly for whole pages of text. Tempted to put your name at the top of your resume in a script that looks like handwriting to give it a little personality? Donít do it! And especially donít use Brush Script, which has been so overused that it now looks cheap and dated rather than retro and nostalgic (it was designed in Essay, 1942). The Walking Essay. While certain creative industries will offer some leeway in playing with the appearance of your resume, when in doubt, itís always a safe bet to stick to conservative font choices (which means no scripts or other display fonts). Unless youíve been living under a rock for pygmalion act 3 the past several years, youíll know that using Comic Sans is The Walking by Lous Essay considered the cardinal sin of state, font choices.

It was created in 1994 to replicate the look of comic book speech bubbles, and thatís about all itís appropriate for. The casual, almost childish look of the font makes it distracting in Essay, any serious context. Pygmalion Act 3. And in The Walking Drum L'Amour Essay, case youíre wondering why anyone would use Comic Sans on Essay a resume, according to this manager, it does happen. Just remember: itís a good rule of thumb to stay far away from any font that might possibly come across as fun, flowery, flashy, or funky. Century Gothic has a sleek, modern look, but itís probably a little too irregular for resumes. Additionally, the thin letters of this fontís regular weight can be hard to read, particularly at small sizes. Thereís really no good reason anyone should want to use this on a resume, but people seem to like it. So if youíre tempted to Drum Essay give your resume an adventurous or exotic air with Papyrus, resist. Patheos Definition. This font is so cliche (probably second only to Drum L'Amour Essay Comic Sans) that is has become something of Essay, a joke ó Fast Co. The Walking By Lous L'Amour. Design puts it this way: ďas everyone who has written a school project over the last decade will tell you, Papyrus is the brokeback, font you use to spell out the word #8220;Egypt.#8221; Want to make a bold, confident impression with your resume? You donít need a bold, heavy font to do it.

Impact is most likely intended for use in all caps for headlines, but because it includes lowercase letters, people are sure to Drum use it for Essay body copy, where itís almost impossible to read. Yes, Trajan Pro has a dignified, important feel, but it would be more appropriate etched into stone than typed on your resume. The Walking L'Amour. Thatís because the typeface was inspired by the letterforms carved into Trajanís Column, a monument dedicated to the Roman emperor of the same name. The font only immunity act 1978, has capital letters and small caps (no lowercase option), which makes it unsuitable for typing out readable sentences on Drum by Lous your resume. So itís probably a good idea to patheos leave Trajan to the movie posters (more than 400 of them), particularly those starring Russell Crowe. For resumes, a font size of 10 to 12 pt. (depending on the particular font, but no smaller than that) is standard.

Larger sizes are acceptable for headings or subheadings. Remember that everyone viewing your resume on a computer will have different fonts installed, and Essay, you donít want your carefully chosen typeface automatically replaced with a substitute that messes up the documentís appearance and formatting. Thatís why itís a good idea to always save and tinker, send your resume as a PDF, which preserves the by Lous L'Amour Essay, original appearance (unlike a MS Word document). Do you have a favorite (or least favorite) font for resumes? Share in the guest poem, the comments below. Bring great design to your entire workplace. Janie is a freelance writer and The Walking, graphic designer and the owner of Design Artistree Creative Studio. After college, she built on her background in art to tinker explore design. and loved it. Now, she enjoys finding ways to combine the craftsmanship of traditional fine arts with the The Walking L'Amour Essay, digital possibilities of definition, graphic design. L'Amour Essay. Build Your Brand: How to Choose The Right Fonts. 60 Free Sans Serif Fonts to Give Your Designs a Modern . 60 Free Serif Fonts to Give Your Designs a Traditional . 60 Free Calligraphy Fonts to Bring Charm to state immunity act 1978 Your Design.

60 Free Outline Icon Sets Perfect for Contemporary Desi. L'Amour. 60 Free Fonts for pygmalion act 3 Minimalist Designs. Essay. 50 Free Headline Fonts Built For Impact And Audience En. 50 Beautiful Free Wallpapers For Creatives [2015 Editio. Who Wrote Brokeback. 50 Design Terms Explained Simply For Non-Designers. The 30 Best Free Social Media Icon Sets of 2015.

100 Brilliant Color Combinations and The Walking Essay, How to Apply Them . State Immunity Act 1978. Free Icons: 49 Best Sites To Find Beautiful And Useful . 60 Awesome Free Tools To Create A Visual Marketing Camp. Free Stock Photos: 73 Best Sites To Find Awesome Free I. Drum By Lous. You're almost there! Youíll receive an email soon to confirm your subscription.

Online Cheap Custom Essay -
THE WALKING DRUM by Louis L Amour | Kirkus Reviews

Nov 05, 2017 The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay, order essay writing from our custom essay writing service -

format term papers How to Write Term Papers. Writing a term paper is Drum L'Amour one of the most common requirements for an upper-division course such as the v des, one for which this book was probably assigned. Such term papers usually count for a significant part of your final grade. Drum? Yet many, perhaps most, students have never received formal instruction about how to write a good research report. Definition? The following pages are meant to help you write an A paper by Drum, giving you some guidelines about how to patheos go about your research and writing.

Why do instructors assign papers? Answering this question is a good place to start thinking about term papers because if you know why papers are such a common assignment, then perhaps you can approach the task with added enthusiasm and dedication. Two goals usually motivate this assignment. One goal relates to the specific subject of the course; the The Walking by Lous L'Amour Essay, other goal is based on your professional development. The first course-specific goal is to increase your expertise in some particular substantive area. The amount that you learn from this or almost any other course will be expanded significantly by doing research and by writing a paper. The effort will allow you to delve into the intricacies of a specific topic far beyond what is possible in the no doubt broad lectures that your instructor must deliver in class. Tinker V Des? Your research will go beyond the necessarily general commentary found in this text. The second and probably more important goal behind a paper-writing assignment extends beyond the specific content of the The Walking Drum by Lous Essay, course.

The object is to sharpen your analytic and The Lightbulb Essay, writing skills in preparation for the professional career that you may wish to pursue after graduation. Do not underestimate the importance of such thinking and communications skills. Most professional positions that college graduates seek will eventually require that you find information, analyze it, and Drum by Lous, convey your conclusions and recommendations to others, including your boss. You will be judged by your product. V Des? A survey of ranking business executives a few years ago asked them what accounted for the rise of their most successful young subordinates compared to the failure or slow progress of other junior executives.

Communications skills was one of the factors most mentioned by The Walking Essay, the top executives. Brokeback Mountain? No matter how smart you are, no matter how much you know, these assets will be hidden unless you can communicate well. The evaluation of your academic and professional work will be based partly on its substantive quality. A well-researched, clearly organized, incisively analyzed, powerfully written report will enhance your professional standing; a poorly done report will cast a shadow on your professional competency. It is also important to realize that your report will be judged in part by such standards as neatness, grammar, and spelling, and L'Amour, other such technical criteria. It is not uncommon for university instructors to Essay get papers that represent a good research and analytical effort but that are sloppy, contain numerous grammatical errors, are full of by Lous Essay, misspellings, or are burdened by other such technical deficiencies. Such shortcomings make you look bad. It is very difficult for an instructor (or, later on, your boss) to be dazzled by pygmalion act 3, your intellectual acumen while being simultaneously appalled by your English usage. Drum By Lous? Also do not delude yourself with the common refrain, When I get on the job, I will do it right.

It takes practice to do things well. That is true for rollerblading, shooting baskets, and playing the guitar. The Lightbulb Essay? It is also true for doing a research paper. Now, in college, is the time to practice and learn. Your instructor is likely to be more patient and helpful than your boss will ever be. Most successful efforts require some planning. Here are two hints about what to do before you begin to do research on, much less write, your paper. The Walking Drum By Lous L'Amour? Both hints are tritely obvious; both are regularly ignored to the student's disadvantage. 1. Follow instructions. Your instructor will (or at least should) let you know what is expected.

Far too often, students write papers that do not fulfill the The Lightbulb Essay, assigned task. If you do not understand the assignment, if you have any doubts at all, discuss it with your instructor. It is not uncommon in class or on the job for a person to get instructions, to not understand them, but to The Walking by Lous Essay be reluctant to ask for clarification for fear of seeming dumb. This is a significant error. Patheos? In the The Walking L'Amour, first place, your boss will probably not think less of you for poem asking for clarification. Drum By Lous L'Amour Essay? In the second place, asking for supplementary instructions is far, far better than doing a report that does not meet the needs of your boss and is not what he or she wanted. That really makes you look dumb. 2. Do not wait until the last minute. Last-minute efforts usually read like last-minute efforts!

Plan backward from the date the paper is pygmalion act 3 due to allow plenty of time to The Walking by Lous L'Amour get it done. A good paper requires careful preparation, research, critical thinking, and writing. These steps take time. Also, allow time for the unexpected. Computers crash or files get erased; printer toner or ribbons run out and have to state act 1978 be replaced; personal crises arise.

You need to be able to cope with these and still get the paper done on time. My hard disk crashed is one of the modern excuses of choice; it is no more acceptable than the classic, My dog ate my paper. Being late with reports in class or on the job is a very, very bad idea. The next step in your progress toward an award-winning research paper is to choose your topic carefully. If you are responsible for choosing your own topic, put some thought into this decision. First, as mentioned, make sure any topic you select fulfills the by Lous L'Amour, paper assignment. Second, if possible pick a topic that interests you. Essay? The more interested you are in a topic, the easier it will be for you to devote time and Drum by Lous L'Amour, energy to studying it and to writing about it.

Third, ensure that you select a topic that fits the length of the paper that you intend to write, the research resources that are available to you, and your analytical tools. Length: If you attempt to write a 10-page paper entitled The President and Congress Struggle for Power: Two Centuries of Constitutional Conflict, then your paper is destined to be a mile wide and patheos, an inch deep, as they say. It is better to do something more narrowly focused and to The Walking by Lous Essay do it well than to give a superficial treatment of a large subject. Research Resources: Trying to write a paper on Secret Military Operations in the Persian Gulf War would also be a mistake because the government has not released the relevant information. The Guest House? You should take the holdings of your library into account. If you are at a major research university, you can probably find whatever you need. Even at large libraries, however, you may have trouble finding good sources to support a research paper on U.S.-Sri Lankan relations or U.S. The Walking Drum? policy regarding international cooperation in the development of mining technology. As your library holdings decrease, your ability to study unusual or narrow topics decreases as well. The Lightbulb Essay? So be careful not to choose a topic that destines you to fail.

Analytical Tools: If you are going to pick a topic such as The Use by the Federal Reserve of the Discount Rate to Influence Monetary Relations, then you had better be sure you have the background to Drum by Lous understand the complexities that you will encounter. Similarly, ensure that you have the proper statistical skills if you are going to immunity act 1978 analyze votes in Congress to The Walking by Lous Essay see whether length of service, party affiliation, constituency interest, or the margin of victory is most closely associated with a senator's support of presidential proposals. For all of these issues, rule number 1 here and tinker v des, throughout this writing guide is check with the The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay, instructor if there is any doubt in your mind. Indeed, it is a very good idea to write a paragraph on brokeback mountain, what you intend to analyze, show it to the professor, and get his or her reaction. Now the project begins in earnest. Good research is the foundation of your paper. It stands to The Walking reason that without a solid foundation, the paper you build will inevitably be weak. As a general rule, your paper will be stronger if you use a good variety of the most up-to-date, and the most specific and expert, resources.

The Library: The place to do research is the library. Do not be intimidated if the the guest, library on your campus is The Walking by Lous big and unfamiliar. Even the Essay, most experienced faculty member needs help sometimes, particularly when using such specialized sources as government documents. The good news is that assistance is readily available. By Lous L'Amour? This appendix will presently outline some of the main resources you may find in your library. Tinker V Des? The list can serve only as a very brief introduction, however, so it is important to make use of the library's staff.

When you get lost, as we all do, ask the nearest librarian for help. Actually just standing around and looking confused will suffice sometimes to summon aid. Research Strategies: When you are doing your research it is important to be creative. Here are a few tips: 1. By Lous L'Amour? Start out by v des moines, reading a general study or two on your subject. This will give you a broad grasp of The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay, your topic and will help you identify what is important and on what you need to focus your research. Simply jumping in patheos definition, and beginning to do research in specialized studies can often waste a considerable amount of your time. Textbooks can also be helpful.

For many topics, one starting point might be a U.S. diplomatic history text such as American Foreign Policy (Paterson, Clifford, Hagan, 1991a, b). A general introduction to The Walking international relations such as International Politics on the World Stage (Rourke, 1995) might also prove helpful to gain an overview of patheos, a topic. 2. Treat research like a detective story. The Walking Drum By Lous Essay? Search under a variety of subject headings when looking for sources in the physical or computerized card catalog, in an index, or any other finding aid. If, for example, you are doing a paper on tinker v des, Vietnam, do not limit yourself to Drum by Lous L'Amour looking under V for v des Vietnam. Other likely subject headings might be Asia, Southeast; Ho Chi Minh; Kissinger, Henry; Johnson, Lyndon B.; Nixon, Richard M.; U.S.-Foreign Relations; or U.S.-History. 3. Look at the most recent books and journal articles first.

These sources will usually contain a bibliography and Drum by Lous L'Amour, notes that list earlier works on the subject. This can be an invaluable as well as a time-saving step in The Lightbulb, locating supplementary source material. 4. Photocopy important material. If you can afford it, photocopying is The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay much faster than taking notes and there is less chance for error. If you take written notes, use index cards. Larger cards are better than smaller ones. Use one card for each quote, statistic, or other piece of research that you collect.

Cards work well because they can be arranged easily. For topics with distinct parts, you might even want to house try a different color card for each part. The Walking Drum By Lous L'Amour? Some people use portable computers to take notes. V Des Moines? If you do, be sure to make a backup copy on The Walking Drum, a floppy disk. 5. Make a careful and complete notation of the source of moines, your material. Later on The Walking Drum by Lous Essay, we will cover why and how to tinker v des cite material, but there is The Walking nothing more frustrating than having to go back to the library to look up a citation that you should have noted clearly and completely in the first place. Your library contains many types of resources that you can utilize to the guest house poem do your research. The following list is a mere beginning. Use it, but also go to your library, wander about The Walking by Lous Essay, a bit looking at state immunity act 1978, its various sections and The Walking by Lous L'Amour Essay, the resources that each contains, and ask librarians about what is available. You may be surprised at how many resources you discover.

Reference Works: One of the most important places in your library is the tinker, reference room. We will mention some of the resources you will find there, but if you follow our advice about exploring this resource area, you may save yourself many hours later on. The materials in the reference room are valuable resources for beginning to structure the basic outline of Drum by Lous L'Amour, your topic. Political science encyclopedias and dictionaries are one type of The Lightbulb, resource. There are many. For an American foreign policy course you might wish to look at sources such as the The Walking L'Amour Essay, Dictionary of American Diplomatic History (Findling, 1989) or, at the most general level of political science, you might wish to consult The Encyclopedic Dictionary of American Government (Dushkin, 1991). The Guest House Poem? There are similar works, such as The Oxford Companion to Politics of the The Walking, World (Krieger, 1993), that are global in scope. Then there are resources such as Editorial Research Reports , the Political Handbook of the World , or the Index to International Public Opinion that deal with particular topics, give summaries of various governments, or take other specialized approaches.

Such works are normally acceptable sources; general-purpose encyclopedias (such as the Encyclopaedia Britannica , the World Book , etc.) typically are not suitable, although the bibliographies they include with individual topics may prove helpful. In a U.S. foreign policy class, an often overlooked place to start is the series of works published by pygmalion act 3, Congressional Quarterly. Essay? Weekly updates come in the form of the Congressional Quarterly Weekly Reports . Patheos? Information on Drum, an annual basis comes out in the Congressional Quarterly Almanac . Pygmalion Act 3? Multiyear summaries called Congress and the Nation are available as well. These contain the basics of most U.S. Drum L'Amour? foreign policy actions. Besides coverage of congressional policy making, summaries of presidential or executive branch actions are included as well. The reference room also has bibliographies of who wrote, works on Drum by Lous L'Amour, various subjects. These are classified under Z. Pygmalion Act 3? Check with the reference librarians. They may save you time. Books: Use your library's computer access system or card catalog for books on your subject. A good place to start is with the Library of Congress Subject Headings for ways to Drum by Lous cross-reference your search for definition books. The Walking? In the Library of Congress system, most U.S. history is under the letter E. For economics, look at H; for world history, consult books under D. Mountain? Under H, the subsets of HC, HG, and HJ are particularly good for economics.

The letter J encompasses most works on political science. The Walking By Lous L'Amour? As subsets, the letters JK focus on U.S. politics; JL, JN, and JQ cover other parts of the poem, world; and JX covers international politics. Military affairs are under U. It is Drum by Lous Essay valuable to know these letters because sometimes it is worthwhile to state simply go to the stacks where those letters are shelved and browse a bit to The Walking uncover resources that you may have missed in The Lightbulb, your computer or card catalog search. The shelves in the reference room are partly arranged using the Library of Congress system. Older books are also sometimes catalogued under the Dewey decimal system with the 300s and 900s of especial relevance to political science and history.

Scholarly Journal Articles: Some topics, like U.S. diplomacy during the recent fighting in Bosnia-Herzegovina, may be so contemporary that there are few or no books yet available. In such cases, scholarly journals are more likely sources of information and analysis. You should consult journals even for noncontemporary topics because scholars may have found new information or conducted new analyses. The places to find journal articles are the L'Amour Essay, Public Affairs Information Service , the Social Sciences Index , the S ocial Sciences Citation Index , and the ABC Pol Sci . You should be able to find most, if not all of these, in your library's reference room. Just a few of the leading journals in foreign policy and international affairs are Foreign Affairs, Foreign Policy, International Affairs, International Organization, International Security, International Studies Quarterly, Journal of Conflict Resolution, Journal of poem, International Affairs, Orbis, and World Politics. There are also many journals such as the American Political Science Review that contain general political science research.

Government Publications: You may also find valuable information that has been published in a report of a governmental agency, in hearings or reports of a congressional committee, or in the transcripts of the proceedings of Congress. The United Nations and a number of other international organizations also publish proceedings and reports. There are several indexes available. The Monthly Catalog of United States Government Publications provides a comprehensive list of sources. The CIS/Index by the Congressional Information Service abstracts and indexes congressional hearings and reports. Debates and other proceedings of Congress are found in the daily Congressional Record. At some schools, accessing government documents can be a challenge. See your reference librarians for help with government publications. Newsmagazines and Newspapers: If you are covering a current topic or need to have a day-by-day account of events and cannot find one elsewhere, you may be forced to turn to newsmagazines and newspapers. Be sure, however, to check with your instructor to ensure that these are considered acceptable sources for your assignment. Mostly they are useful for facts or for contemporary quotes and The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay, are usually not good sources of analysis.

Your library may have a computerized access system such as InfoTrac to assist you. Pygmalion Act 3? The Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature also helps access this material. Additionally, major newspapers like the New York Times, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times are indexed. Some are now available on CD-ROM, allowing you to use the computer to search by subject and then print out the relevant stories. For instance, InfoTrac is one CD-ROM-based system that among other things indexes the New York Times, Washington Post, Christian Science Monitor, Wall Street Journal, and Los Angeles Times. Drum By Lous Essay? The Lexis/Nexis computer database will not only state act 1978 provide you with indexed citations of journalistic articles, but also with the text of the article in most instances. See the reference librarians for help with such resources.

There are sources such as Facts on File and Keesing's Contemporary Archives that are compilations of weekly news events and are indexed. World Wide Web (WWW) Electronic Resources: Over the past few years it has become increasingly easy to find research information by by Lous L'Amour Essay, using the Internet. Until recently the who wrote brokeback, Gopher system of data archives was the dominant form of Internet information access, but now most governmental and nongovernmental organizations, universities, and even many businesses have developed access to their research resources over The Walking Drum by Lous Essay, the graphic environment on the World Wide Web. The following are a number of Web sites that will get you started in house poem, searching for information you may need in writing your research paper. Although some of the Uniform Resource Locators (URL) listed below are for specific information sources, most provide you with hot-linked lists that will get you to L'Amour Essay where you might want to look for information.

It is important to note that URLs change frequently. If any of these do not work for you, double-check the URL or contact the house poem, organization sponsoring the The Walking L'Amour, page. Miscellaneous Sources: Our listing here can only begin to cover what is in your library. There may be a map room. Brokeback Mountain? There may also be an audio-visual section. Some libraries contain archives or a rare book collection. Talk to a librarian or your professor for added information. Also realize that no library has everything. Consequently, you may find references to sources that are not found in your library. You can usually order such sources from L'Amour Essay other libraries through the interlibrary loan program.

Check with your reference librarians to patheos definition learn how to use this service. Be advised, however, that interlibrary loans take some time. So order any needed sources as early as possible. External Sources: Knowledge is The Walking Drum by Lous not confined to libraries or even campuses. A surprising number of students know someone who knows something about the specifics of some U.S. foreign policy issue. Poem? Even if you do not know someone personally, you might find it interesting and possible to conduct an interview with a decision maker or some other relevant person.

Some students have been known to telephone the State Department for information successfully. Others have called the United Nations Missions or local consulates of other countries involved to get information from them. For advice on unconventional sources, see your instructor. The keys to effective papers are good organization and presentation of ideas and The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay, error-free technical skills. There are a number of sources that you can access to help you both organize and write your paper. Pygmalion Act 3? Some are: Writer's Guide: Political Science (Biddle Holland, 1987); The Chicago Manual of The Walking Drum by Lous Essay, Style (1993); The Write Stuff (Cronin, 1986); Writing with Power (Elbow, 1981); The Elements of Style (Strunk White, 1979); and A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations (Turabian, 1987).

Our comments on patheos definition, writing a paper that follow may prove helpful to you, but they are not substitutes for the fuller discussions you will find in Essay, these writing guides. There are three organizational issues to consider. They are the outline, the parts of the paper, and the approach. Outline: No one would think of building a house, computer, or other important and complex project without a plan. Students regularly write papers without a plan. Tinker Moines? As a result, poor organization is a common weakness of undergraduate term papers. The best way to construct your plan and to organize information for maximum effect is to put together an Drum by Lous Essay, outline. An outline serves to lay out your paper's structure, to ensure that it is complete and The Lightbulb, logical, and to prevent you from getting off the Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay, track.

Determine what you wish to accomplish in the paper; then prepare an outline specifying every step from Introduction to Conclusion. Patheos Definition? Linear writing is crucial in professional papers and Essay, reports. A good outline also serves to help you later: It ensures that you stay on track, write an accurate summary for your conclusions, and moines, cover all of the relevant information and arguments. Parts: All papers should have three basic parts: an introduction, a main body, and a conclusion. The introduction is the key to letting your reader know where you are headed and what you will accomplish.

Remember always that while the organization of your paper may be clear to you, it is not clear to your reader. Therefore, the introduction is something like a road map that acquaints the reader with the journey ahead. The Walking Drum? This will make it easier for patheos the reader to understand what follows and will improve the reader's evaluation of your work. Tell the reader in concise terms (1) what the by Lous L'Amour, subject of the paper is, (2) what it is that you hope to find out, and (3) how you will go about it. If you are writing an advanced, theoretical paper, your introduction might well also include a review of the existing scholarship on the subject, a section in which you identify how you collected your data and other information, and a discussion of the methodology you will use. Wolfinger (1993) is a guide for such advanced papers. The main body is the largest part of the paper. It should have a logical organization. Especially if the paper is long, it is often a good idea to divide the main body into the guest house poem sections designated by headings and subheadings. The Walking Drum L'Amour Essay? Look at almost any text, including this one, and you will see that it uses headings to help keep the reader aware of the organizational structure. Also with regard to your main body, do not assume knowledge on the part of the reader.

Include all important information, explain its significance, and detail your logic. Write your paper as though its reader will be a reasonably intelligent and informed person but not an the guest house, expert on your topic. Your instructor wants to know what you know and will not read into the paper information that is not there. The conclusion should sum up what you have found and stress the evidence that supports your analysis. There is something very human about wanting to have things summed up, so do not leave your reader hanging without a conclusion. Approach: There are several ways to by Lous Essay approach your paper. A common organizational approach is a chronological one. The advantage of this approach is state act 1978 that it uses the passage of The Walking Drum, time as its organizing mechanism.

The disadvantage of a chronological approach is that it can easily become a laundry list of events, both important and unimportant. Students often list everything they find, leaving it to the reader to determine which factors are most important. Chronologies are also no substitute for analysis. Essay? There is nothing wrong with a chronological approach if it is done well; just be sure to put more emphasis throughout on why things happened than on what happened. A more analytic approach would be organized around a set of factors, or variables, that are important to the subject of the paper. Theoretical approaches can also be used to organize a paper.

See Allison's (1971) Essence of Decision for an illustration of such an Drum L'Amour, analytic approach. Whatever approach you choose, bear in mind that a cardinal rule is, analyze, analyze, analyze! Summarizing your findings in the conclusion does not mean that this is the only place to put you in v des, the paper. Your analysis should appear throughout the The Walking by Lous L'Amour Essay, paper. A big error that many novice writers make is to use the main body of the moines, paper to L'Amour create a heap of facts and to wait until the conclusion to say what they mean. This approach is boring and will not impress your readers with your analytical ability.

The best papers by pygmalion act 3, far are those that draw data, events, and other material together and by Lous L'Amour, interpret them throughout. Besides organization, the other hallmark of a good paper is clarity in writing. Remember that if a paper fails to communicate well, then its research-no matter how well done--will have little impact. There is an old piece of advice that says, write like you speak. This is terrible advice, at pygmalion act 3, least for formal papers. By Lous Essay? Good written communication is somewhat different from good spoken communication. When you speak to someone, especially face to face, you can convey meaning through voice inflection, gestures, and other methods in addition to your words. Mountain? These methods are not available in written communications. Therefore, choice of words, punctuation, and other considerations are particularly vital when you write.

Good writing can be divided into three parts: effort, style considerations, and technical matters. Effort: Thomas Alva Edison once supposedly commented that Genius is one percent inspiration and The Walking, 99 percent perspiration. That is patheos true whether one is inventing the L'Amour Essay, lightbulb or creating an state immunity act 1978, essay, a report, or a book. Writing and polishing drafts of Essay, a paper take time and effort. They cannot be done the night before the paper is due. If you sit down at your word processor the night before your report is due and write it into the wee hours of the morning, you will almost certainly leave your reader as bleary-eyed when he or she reads the paper as you were when you wrote it. Two things to do are to write drafts and to get others to read your paper. 1. Write a draft, preferably more than one. No professional writer would dream of sending a manuscript out for the guest poem review or to press without writing multiple drafts.

Indeed, the more one writes, the more one feels the need to do drafts. The Walking Drum By Lous L'Amour Essay? Only undergraduates have the hubris to keyboard a paper into the computer, print a copy out, hand it in, and wait confidently for that rave review and an A grade from the pygmalion act 3, instructor. A better idea is to by Lous L'Amour write a first draft. Note here that the the guest house, adjective rough does not precede draft. Your draft should be complete and carefully done. Once your smooth draft is done, put it aside for a few days so that you can gain perspective. Then reread it.

You may be surprised at how many ways you find to improve what you have written when you look at it with fresh eyes. The same is true for your third and subsequent drafts. 2. Get help. There are many people who can help you write a first-rate paper. One person is Drum by Lous your instructor. Pygmalion Act 3? Discuss your topic and The Walking Drum by Lous, your ideas with your professor. He or she may be able to house help you refine your topic, avoid pitfalls, identify resources, or plan the paper's organization. Submit drafts to your professor far enough ahead of the deadline to give the instructor time to suggest revisions. It may prove helpful also to ask a classmate, a family member, or someone else to by Lous L'Amour Essay read your paper. Most people are not good judges of their own writing. We tend to read what we meant to say, not what we actually wrote.

A fresh reader will be able to point out technical errors and lapses in moines, your argument and organization. The Walking Essay? Writing centers are another source of help at many colleges and universities. The Lightbulb? You may have already paid for Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay such assistance with your tuition dollars; you might as well use it. Style Considerations: It may take innate talent to become a great literary figure, but achieving a reasonably pleasing literary style is possible for everyone who exercises a little care. A few suggestions should help you write a paper that has literary, as well as intellectual, merit. 1. Watch your sentence structure. Students and scholars too often seem to pygmalion act 3 assume that long, complex sentences are symbolic of profundity. They are not; they are mostly just cumbersome.

Simple, subject-verb-object sentences are best. By Lous? They are powerful. Still, if you do not vary them occasionally, numerous short sentences do not read well. So, after several simple sentences, add a longer one. But do not go too far the other way. Consider Rourke's Rule of 2s: Sentences more than two lines long or with more than two commas are probably too long to state be understood easily, especially if there have been two in The Walking by Lous L'Amour, a row. 2. Rely on active tense, action verbs.

Avoid the the guest house, passive tense (No: Politicians are disliked by many people. Drum By Lous Essay? Yes: Many people dislike politicians.). Similarly, action verbs (made, jumped, went) are better than verbs of being (is, are, were). In general, active/action verbs generate more interest. 3. Definition? Use standard English.

Colloquial English typically does not make a good impression unless you are writing fiction. The Walking L'Amour? Obscenities and other forms of pygmalion act 3, gutter English are almost never acceptable. 4. Avoid starting too many sentences with adverbial or adjectival clauses or phrases. These are the short phrases (such as In the morning, we went. ) that are often followed by a comma. Also shun beginning or ending sentences with words or phrases such as: however, though, for example, for instance. 5. Watch your paragraph length. Paragraphs over by Lous L'Amour Essay, one page in length are usually too long. They may contain redundant statements or more than one major idea. Rework such paragraphs to delete unnecessary text or to separate ideas into house additional paragraphs. At the The Walking L'Amour, other extreme, one-sentence paragraphs are not acceptable. Remember that each paragraph should have a topic sentence and several others that explain or develop that topic.

6. Rely on definition, transitions between paragraphs. Conventions like On the other hand, Still, Also, Nevertheless, Thus, However, or As a result help the reader get from one thought to another. They smooth the reading process. 7. Avoid clichés. They fought like cats and dogs over which policy to adopt. Ugh! 8. Get to The Walking the point. Do not beat around the bush; save a tree; avoid word pollution. Technical Matters: Your paper must be free of common writing mistakes. Cautions about some of these are: 1. Brokeback Mountain? Avoid sentence fragments.

Every sentence must have a subject and a verb. 2. Check your spelling. Misspelled words make you appear uneducated, careless, or both. Drum L'Amour Essay? Keep in patheos definition, mind that misspelled words and typographical errors cannot be distinguished from each other by a reader. Both are unacceptable. Some professional proofreaders read a manuscript backwards to check for spelling. Try it. Do not rely on just your own sense of how words are spelled.

Use a dictionary, a spell check program if you have a computer, and a second reader to proofread your drafts. Beware of spell checkers, though! Consider this sentence: Its necessary to get there attention or we may loose the by Lous, vote. These three mistakes (its for it's, there for their, and v des, loose for lose) are common ones that would not be caught by most spell check programs. Thus it is crucial to have a human scan your words. 3. Make sure subjects and L'Amour, verbs agree. Subject-verb disagreement is most likely to occur when the two are separated in the sentences by several other words.

4. Be careful of Essay, verb tense. Many poor writers use only present tense. Use past tense, future, and other tenses as appropriate. The Walking Drum By Lous L'Amour? Also be careful to keep verb tense consistent within paragraphs. 5. Make pronouns mean what they say. Misuse of pronouns is very common.

A pronoun refers to the last noun of the same person and tinker moines, gender. Consider the sentences, John F. Kennedy was shot by Lee Harvey Oswald, who was subsequently also shot and killed. Many Americans wept at his death. Drum L'Amour Essay? What this means literally is pygmalion act 3 that many Americans wept when they heard of Oswald's death because his refers to the closest prior singular masculine noun (Oswald). The Walking? Also, do not normally use pronouns more than twice in a row to refer to the same noun. Use the definition, noun or a variation thereof again for clarity. While we are on The Walking L'Amour, the subject of definition, pronouns, it is seldom correct to use a gender-specific pronoun (he, she, him, her) to refer to an inanimate object. The United States, for example, is an it, not a she. 6. The Walking Drum By Lous Essay? Do not split infinitives. Except when absolutely necessary to brokeback mountain avoid misinterpretation, to and the verb should not be separated by an adverb. 7. L'Amour Essay? Avoid the v des moines, use of contractions.

Words like can't, won't, or don't are too informal for a formal writing assignment. 8. Be careful of abbreviations. Drum? Do not start sentences with abbreviations or numbers (unless spelled out). Pygmalion Act 3? For countries, avoid using the abbreviation as a noun (No: The U.S. did. ); but the abbreviation is acceptable as an adjective (Yes: Current U.S. foreign policy. ). The first time you name someone, give his or her full name and the title if appropriate. Also do not use an acronym unless it is very common without first spelling out the full name, as in, the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).

9. Do not end sentences with prepositions. This rule is being relaxed, but repetitive use of prepositions at the end of sentences is indicative of poor sentence structure. 10. Know when and The Walking Essay, how to use specific punctuation. The various style manuals mentioned earlier elaborate on the proper usage of commas, colons, semicolons, parentheses, brackets, and the guest house poem, the like. All good research papers rely on Drum by Lous, information compiled by pygmalion act 3, and analysis done by others.

If you write a research paper without consulting other works, then you have written an essay, not a report. If you do rely in part on the work of other people and The Walking by Lous, you do not cite them, you have failed in your responsibilities. A research paper must cite the work of others. There are two reasons that citations are mandatory. The first is to pygmalion act 3 allow the reader to explore the subject further by consulting the works that you have utilized.

Without regular and complete citations, such further exploration by your reader is The Walking L'Amour difficult or impossible. Pygmalion Act 3? Second, intellectual honesty requires citations. Failure to use them is by Lous plagiarism, which is unacceptable in any form. Plagiarism is the theft of the thoughts, facts, or knowledge of tinker v des moines, others by not giving them proper credit. When to Cite: Follow these guidelines to protect yourself: 1. Anytime you quote or paraphrase the thoughts or work of others, cite the source. It is incorrect to believe that only quotations require citations. You should also insert a note whenever you are relying on Drum by Lous, someone else's thoughts or research, even if you are only the guest paraphrasing (putting it in your own words).

2. Simple, commonly known facts need not be footnoted. The Walking Drum? A rule of tinker, thumb is that if you did not know the information before you started the paper, then you should use a citation to show where you found the information. Also, even if you know something when you start, you should cite the source of any controversial fact (Ireland's St. The Walking Drum L'Amour? Brenden and the Vikings came to the guest the New World before Columbus). 3. When in doubt, cite the source. Plagiarism is unethical. Instructors and other readers take it very seriously. Grades, reputations, and academic careers have been ruined by plagiarism. Err on by Lous Essay, the side of safety.

One citation too many is far better than one citation too few. How to pygmalion act 3 Cite: The use of a correct format for Drum by Lous citations used in endnotes or footnotes and in The Lightbulb Essay, a bibliography often seem a bit complex and cumbersome, but doing so has two good points. Those advantages are completeness and consistency. The Walking By Lous? Most styles fall into one of two categories, notation styles and reference-in-text styles. Notation style involves the use of numbers to indicate each citation. Each number's corresponding note may be at the bottom of the definition, page as a footnote or at The Walking by Lous L'Amour, the end of the paper as an endnote. In either case, you should provide comprehensive information on each source the first time it appears as a footnote or an endnote, with shortened versions appearing in later footnotes or endnotes. At the end of the paper, a bibliography repeats the full documentation of these sources, listing them alphabetically by author.

Bibliographies have their own formatting styles. A number of works demonstrate both citation and bibliography format styles, including A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations (Turabian, 1980) and The Chicago Manual of The Lightbulb, Style (1993). A r eference-in-text style uses the author's name and the year of publication of the work, which are placed in parentheses and inserted at Drum by Lous Essay, the appropriate place in the text. The Guest House Poem? A page number is also included for direct quotes and in some other cases. Then at the end of the paper or book there is a References or Works Cited section that contains the Drum by Lous L'Amour, full documentation for all the sources cited throughout the body of the work. These sources are listed alphabetically by author.

Reference-in-text styles are increasingly the patheos, norm in social science, and most are some variant of the style developed by the American Psychological Association (APA). The Walking Drum? For details of how to use such styles, see the APA's Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (1983); Writer's Guide: Political Science (Biddle Holland, 1987); or use this book as an illustration. Whatever citation style you choose, use it correctly and be consistent. Your job is Essay not quite finished. After writing the paper, you must prepare its physical presentation. Unless told otherwise, you should type your paper double-spaced, with one-inch margins on by Lous L'Amour, all four sides of each page. Your paper should feature a title page, the body of the paper, and the guest poem, then the bibliography, Works Cited, or References page(s). If your instructor prefers some variation of The Walking by Lous Essay, this model, that will usually be specified in house, advance.

Once again, it is The Walking Drum by Lous important to stress that a paper is a whole product. A paper that contains impeccable research, cogent analysis, and brilliant writing will still evoke a negative reaction from the reader if it is wrinkled, printed sloppily, or barely readable because the ink on the ribbon is exhausted. Some general guidelines include: 1. Printed material is tinker preferable. Drum By Lous L'Amour Essay? Most instructors will not accept handwritten reports. Even if printing is not mandatory, a printed report has a more professional image than does a handwritten report. 2. Make sure the print is easily legible. When you type or print your report, make sure that the ribbon or ink cartridge is patheos definition up to The Walking Drum Essay par. 3. Do not play the margin, spacing, and font game. Professors are not naive and have read veritable mountains of papers.

Having extra-wide margins; leaving extra spaces between paragraphs, headings, and excerpts; or using larger-size type or fonts to stretch a paper out (or doing the opposite to squeeze it in) are very obvious. You will not fool the instructor or anyone else. So, why bother? 4. Number your pages. Poem? It is not uncommon for students to turn in papers with the pages out of order.

Numbering the pages cuts down on Drum Essay, this mistake. Also, unbound papers sometimes fall apart and v des moines, must be reassembled. The Walking Drum By Lous L'Amour? Numbered pages will facilitate this. 5. Securely fasten the immunity act 1978, paper together. Paper clips are a bad idea. Staples or one of the various types of binders sold by your bookstore are better. 6. Read your paper one last time. Even if the The Walking Drum Essay, paper seems finished, you can still find mistakes that prior proofreading missed. A last-minute pen-and-ink (never pencil) correction that is inserted neatly is better than an definition, error. 7. Go home and The Walking by Lous, relax. Get a pizza, watch some television, catch a movie!

You deserve it after working hard and writing a great paper. Congratulations!

Custom Academic Paper Writing Services -
The Walking Drum Summary - eNotes com

Nov 05, 2017 The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay, buy essays cheap -

convey tone essay Points Length: 240 points; 5-6 pages (1500-1800 words) Format: Double space; include heading on by Lous, the first page (top left); place shortened title and pygmalion act 3 page number in Drum the header of every page (top right); see Format Instructions. Title: Include an informative, interesting, provocative and/or creative title that reflects your narrowed topic (see CR , p. 247) Drafts: First draft to be copied and pasted into a forum window; final draft to be submitted as an uploaded file on Canvas. The Literature Review consists of an introduction, summary of pygmalion act 3 scholarly sources, a discussion and evaluation of the sources (including disputes and disagreements), and The Walking Drum Essay a conclusion in who wrote brokeback which you put forth your own potential original research questions that will contribute something new to the available understanding on Drum by Lous L'Amour, the topic. A minimum of five scholarly sources (not the same ones you used in the Background Essay) are required for pygmalion act 3 this essay. The Walking Drum By Lous L'Amour Essay. See the tinker v des moines, Find scholarl y articles tab from our Holman Library Class Guide. At least two of your scholarly articles must come from the online database Academic Search Premier (available from the class guide); other scholarly sources can come from Google Scholar, scholarly book chapters (published by university presses), or research studies published by L'Amour Essay, credible organizations.

The Literature Review in the Research Process. A literature review is a section of a final research report, and the guest house can also be a stand-alone essay; both are required for your topic in this class. Literature refers to Drum by Lous, the scholarly writing, published (original) research study results, and other important analyses on a particular aspect of a topic. So you are not going to write an essay on a Shakespearean play or some other literary text. A scholarly literature review is pygmalion act 3, part of any final research study or report since it demonstrates that you are familiar with what other other scholars have already studied and The Walking Essay published on your subject, and allows you then to map out what new arena or question you would like to pursue. There is, after all, no point in v des reinventing the wheel, i.e., undertaking a study that someone else has already done or trying to The Walking by Lous, answer a question that has already been adequately explored. The Guest. And there's also no point in reaching your own interpretive conclusions without taking into account what others have already studied and argued.

You would lack credibility and appear naive and uninformed if your analysis has already been convincingly put forth or refuted. The purpose of a literature review is fourfold: The first is to summarize and assess the state of existing knowledge on Drum by Lous Essay, your narrowed topic. What knowledge exists and pygmalion act 3 is generally accepted with regard to your topic? Are there important differences or disagreements among scholars? Are there significant problems or limitations with any of the research studies? Which research methods were employed in the various research studies, which were not, and with what consequences? What questions remain unanswered? What aspects or approaches seem relatively unexplored? Through the process of reviewing existing knowledge you will also develop a more nuanced understanding of The Walking Drum by Lous Essay your topic , the second reason for conducting a literature review. This new understanding leads to the third reason, to raise questions for further research . In other words, what are you left wondering?

What questions or aspects of the issue do you find have been unanswered, underexplored or overlooked? How would our understanding be improved by tinker moines, pursuing those questions or angles? At the The Walking by Lous L'Amour, end of this process, you will hopefully find that you can identify several potential research questions. The final purpose of the literature review, based on the sources that have been assessed and the new questions that have been raised, is to the guest house, identify one specific and Drum by Lous Essay significant research question that identifies a gap in the current state of knowledge or analysis about patheos your topic. This research question will drive your research from this point forward as you build towards the Final Research Article, in which you present an argument that attempts to answer your own research question. Review the The Walking by Lous Essay, Assignments page to get a sense of pygmalion act 3 how this assignment fits in with the other major assignments this quarter, namely, the Background Essay and the Final Research Article. Remember that you will continue learning about your research topic throughout the quarter, and you will revise this essay to include as a section in your Final Research Article.

Though the The Walking, research process is recursive and, frankly, messy by nature, it is The Lightbulb Essay, helpful to visualize and organize your progress through the various stages. Required Elements of the Drum Essay, Literature Review. Length : At least five-six pages of APA-manuscript text (not including the References page). Required Sources : See the Holman Library Class Guide for this course. At least five scholarly articles (must be different from those you used in the BE), from which you quote at least once. At least two articles must come from the electronic database such as Academic Search Premier (select peer-reviewed from the search screens of these databases). Others can come from Google Scholar, scholarly books, or research studies from credible organizations. See the Scholarly Sources webpage for a fuller discussion of the different kinds of sources.

Of the five required sources, one of them can be a scholarly article from Rereading America if it is relevant for your topic and research question ( no newspaper articles, informational websites, Wikipedia, etc.). At least two of your sources must be no older than two years. The sources should be diverse; you should not have more than two (of the five) articles from the same author or periodical; if you do have more than two from the immunity, same author or periodical, then you should have more than the minimum five sources. Ideally, your collection of by Lous L'Amour scholarly sources should include a variety of social science disciplines as well as different research methods. Immunity. Abstracts and summaries of The Walking L'Amour articles are not sufficient by themselves; you must have access to the entire article. When you find interesting abstracts on the internet, you can use Interlibrary Loan to request the full-text articles or books from Holman Library. Introduction : The introduction presents your narrowed topic or area of inquiry, whether from the conclusion of immunity your Background Essay or based on The Walking by Lous, a later formulation, and an overview of the various subtopics, issues, and problems that scholarly researchers have studied (which will also be reflected in the topic sentences of your Summary paragraphs). Moines. Also include a thesis statement that provides your evaluation of the The Walking Drum L'Amour, state of current knowledge and of what needs further study, which should anticipate the specific research question you will arrive at in the poem, end. Here is an example of a thesis statement that evluates the state of research and points to The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay, a proposed research question from a former studentís research project on domestic violence in the case of mail-order brides in patheos definition the U.S.: Although there have been many studies of Drum domestic violence against The Lightbulb, women and programs adopted to reduce it, there are virtually no statistics documenting instances of abuse in the immigrant bride population. Summary (include section heading; 3+ paragraphs) : The summary-of-sources section presents the research, knowledge, and analysis that the literature offers concerning your narrowed research topic.

Each Summary paragraph should have a clear topic sentence that clarifies the scholarly research on a particular subtopic you will be presenting. The paragraphs in this section should be organized according to The Walking Drum L'Amour Essay, the issues or aspects studied, the accepted interpretations or theories, the disputed claims, and any unanswered questions. Do not simply summarize each source in separate paragraphs . The paragraphs in your summary should focus on specific issues, not necessarily on individual authors. For example, if you were studying prison reform, one paragraph might present what three scholars have reported regarding education programs in definition prison, even though one or more of those authors might show up again in another paragraph on visitation rights. Drum By Lous Essay. If a paragraph happens to focus on only one author or article, make sure this is for a good reason, for example, the article represents the authoritative discussion of a particular issue; in such a case, the content of that paragraph should be limited to the issue and not turn into a general summary of the v des moines, article. Discussion and Evaluation (include section heading; 2+ paragraphs) : This section is Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay, your discussion and evaluation of the articles from your summary section and pygmalion act 3 not your discussion of the The Walking Essay, issues themselves. Instead, you are interpreting and evaluating the knowledge presented in the summary section in order to raise questions for further research (gaps in the guest poem knowledge). The Walking Drum Essay. You may discuss and evaluate the significance of various conclusions and definition arguments, the completeness of individual studies, the research methods used, substantial areas of disagreement, debates over definitions of terms, and/or the consistency of the The Walking L'Amour, results with each other. As you present your evaluation, do so cautiously with thorough analysis and explanation.

Challenging the results of a professional study with nothing but one isolated observation or opinion will reveal your naivet more than any real weakness in who wrote the study. Share your evaluation without using the first person (I, me, my, mine); doing so will shift the by Lous L'Amour, readerís focus away from the subject and onto you, the writer. V Des Moines. As you discuss and evaluate the knowledge and issues with regard to your narrowed topic, raise questions for further study along the The Walking by Lous L'Amour Essay, way. Refer directly to all of the authors from your Summary section. Do not introduce new articles in this section that you haven't already covered in the Summary section.

Please note that even though you may take issue with aspects of the pygmalion act 3, research and findings in your sources, it is very rare for the discussion to include a complete dismissal of any one source. If you read a source and find that it has nothing or little of value to offer on your topic and Drum L'Amour Essay research question, then do not include it in the literature review in the first place. By choosing to include sources in your literature review, you imply that you have already judged them to pygmalion act 3, offer something that is worth consideration. Further, it is important to Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay, distinguish between evaluation for analytical purposes and evaluation for entertainment purposes. While this kind of essay is called a literature ďreview,Ē it is not a review in the sense of pygmalion act 3 a movie review. You should not be concerned with whether the material you have reviewed is entertaining.

The purpose, rather, is to demonstrate how considering various arguments and Drum by Lous L'Amour approaches improves our understanding and engages us in new questions. Conclusion: Proposed Research Question and Significance (include section heading) : The conclusion synthesizes the knowledge confirmed through the discussion and evaluation section while identifying areas for further research. Definition. After reviewing the literature, what do we know? What donít we know (gaps in L'Amour Essay knowledge)? There should be an apparent connection between the new areas of inquiry and the summary of existing knowledge. Bring your conclusion to a close by identifying and discussing the pygmalion act 3, significance of a specific research question that will drive the rest of your research project. Note: The specific research question you present in your conclusion should be somewhat original. It should NOT be a yes/no, good/bad, for/against, pro/con, either/or, right/wrong, or moral/immoral kind of question, nor should it try to solve a problem or predict the The Walking by Lous L'Amour Essay, future. Pygmalion Act 3. Rather the research question should attempt to advance the already-existing knowledge and understanding around your narrowed topic. This can include an inquiry into causes and effects; the evaluation of already-existing policies, programs or proposals; unforeseen or non-obvious connections and consequences; etc.

Hint: Try coming up with a single sentence answer (hypothesis) to your own research question in order to assess its viability and originality. The Walking By Lous. Note that your Final Research Article will ask you to immunity, present your further investigation of your research question, and The Walking L'Amour Essay will ask you to develop an academic argument based on your best possible answer to it (the hypothesis). References and In-text Citations : An APA-style References page, with all of the sources referred to in your literature review, must be included at the end of your essay. Include at least one quotation from act 1978 each of your five required sources, though you may also use paraphrase for these and other any other sources. Follow APA guidelines for in-text citations to Essay, set up each quotation or citation grammatically with a signal phrase or attributive tag, and include a comment or explanation for each major quoted passage. Include authors' last names only, year of publication, and page or paragraph numbers for EACH in-text citation. Do NOT include authors' first name, initials, or credentials in Essay the body of the essay. Only include article title (in quotation marks) or book title (in italics) or organization name if no author is specified.

In your presentation and The Walking analysis of sources, avoid heavy reliance on quotations to the guest house, present the ideas of others; excessive quoting can turn your literature review into a cacophony of The Walking Drum by Lous L'Amour Essay different voices that frustrates the readerís ability to find cohesion between the v des moines, distinct ideas. In most cases, you are better off paraphrasing or summarizing, which you must do carefully to avoid plagiarism (see CR , Ch. 14). Quote other authors sparingly and with purpose: to convey an idea that cannot be paraphrased without losing meaning or to convey the Drum Essay, power of the original language. Remember that the pygmalion act 3, proper use of citations is a very important part of your grade! Search Strategies : Whether in The Walking L'Amour Essay the Academic Search Premier database (with the scholarly (peer reviewed) journals box checked from your search window) or in tinker moines Google Scholar, try a wide variety of search terms. Essay. For example, combine your topic (somewhat narrowed) with only The Lightbulb Essay, one of the following additional search terms at The Walking L'Amour, a time : Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Political Science, Economics, and History.

Then conduct even more searches by combining your narrowed topic with one of the following research methods at a time : ethnography, observation, survey, questionnaire, case study, interview, focus group, primary source, content analysis, archive, archival, statistics, statistical, research study, theory, and experiment. You may need to place some phrases in quotation marks to pygmalion act 3, signal to the search engines that you are looking for a particular group of words, e.g., focus group or prison education. Audience : The audience for a literature review is a somewhat hypothetical body of fellow researchers. These are people interested in The Walking Essay the same issues and who are usually working in a similar field. Thus, you are expected to state immunity, use vocabulary appropriate to your subject matter. For example, the Drum L'Amour Essay, term ďreentryĒ has a specific set of meanings and connotations within criminal justice. If you choose to write about this subject, then you are expected to familiarize yourself with that word and others and use them accurately in your explanations and The Lightbulb Essay analysis.

Note and look up commonly used terms as you run across them in your reading. Consider how they are used in context and with what connotations. The Walking By Lous Essay. Acquiring the the guest house poem, vocabulary of the discussion is an important part of being able to express yourself with clarity and by Lous Essay precision. Who Wrote Mountain. Showing that you are conversant with the vocabulary and concepts common to the discussion is also an important part of establishing your authority to analyze the contributions of others. Style and Tone : In tone, consider that you are writing for a body of professionals. They want to see that you are reasonably objective. Betraying a strong emotional investment may cast doubt on The Walking by Lous Essay, your credibility. Thus, your tone and style should emphasize that you are interested in furthering understanding rather than establishing that you are right or winning an tinker v des moines argument. Moreover, the The Walking by Lous, focus in this essay is not on you; it is on the texts and topic you are analyzing and synthesizing. Pygmalion Act 3. Therefore, do not use the first person (I, me, my, mine). Nor should you find occasion to The Walking Drum L'Amour, use the second person (you, your, youíre) , for tinker example, to address the reader directly as in, ďHaving considered the many facets of this problem, you may wonder how it can possibly be solved.Ē Such language is overly informal for this kind of academic writing and shifts the focus to the reader and away from the topic of your essay.

A possible revision could be: ďA consideration of the many facets of this problem clearly indicates that solving it will be difficult.Ē Paragraph form: Each of your body paragraphs should have a topic sentence. Drum By Lous L'Amour Essay. Paragraphs in academic writing are (usually) between 1/3 - 3/4 of patheos a page long. If they're shorter than that, you may not be adequately developing your ideas. L'Amour Essay. If the ideas or information don't deserve to be developed further, then you might consider combining the content of the short paragraph with another paragraph; in such a case, you would need to revise the topic sentence so that it covers the combined materials.

If a paragraph is much longer than 3/4 of a page, you risk losing the pygmalion act 3, attention of your reader as well as losing focus in your paragraph itself. Of course, there are exceptions to the 1/3-3/4 page guideline. See the Paragraph Development page for further explanation. CQ Researcher: If you happen to find an article from CQ Researcher that includes an overview article for your topic area, this may be useful since it would have done some of the work for you in offering an account of various studies, articles and common issues. However, an The Walking Essay article from CQR is not itself considered a scholarly source; therefore, you may use a CQR article for your Background Essay and The Lightbulb Essay background section of the FRA as a Reference article, but not for the Literature Review.